Thursday, October 05, 2006

Woodstock 8 Post-Mortem

I think that what really made this year’s Woodstock the best one so far was the great company we had this year. The phrase “the more the merrier” definitely applied here. Last Friday morning, after frantically packing last minute stuff in my already pregnant bag, sorting out the food for the weekend and making sure we didn’t forget anything, Ferdi, Berny, Martin, Cailin, Basti and I made the trip to Hartbeespoort Dam for Woodstock 8. Shawn was meeting us there later. Finally this weekend had arrived! By the time we got there it was already sizzling hot and the resort was full of campers. We were worried about not getting a good campsite but our shuttle service driver managed to find us a prime spot right in front of the two main stages. So we didn’t have to walk too far to watch the bands. In fact, we could just sit back and watch from our tents.

Setting up the tents was a mission under hot sun, especially with a drink in hand, but eventually we settled in nicely and waited for sunset and the bands to start playing. The sausage rolls and sammies that I made for the whole weekend didn’t last long. I clearly underestimated our hungry boys! So these are the highlights from the weekend:

- Best Moment: After more than a year of not seeing him face-to-face, Andrew from 16Stitch, remembered my name (!!) after asking him to sign my, erm, boobie!!! I was so chuffed!
- Dunces of the weekend: traffic cops forcing Shawn to turn back home, due to bad traffic, when he was almost half-way there. Eventually the poor guy made it.
- Best Performance: The Narrow, closely followed by Inersha. Berny and I got pushed, shoved and trampled during The Narrow, as we were right in front, but it was worth it.
- Most Entertaining Band: Fuzigish. Or more to the point: BIG WILLY! As usual, he passed a funnel with beer down to the crowd, stage dived (or rather, fence-dived) and of course, wowed us with his trumpet. A real trumpet, damnit.
- Weirdest dude: The guy with a weird hairdo, and plastic cock that he wanted Big Willy to sign. He rubbed it against my arm and told me I liked it.
- Butterflies in the stomach moment: Got to chat with Inersha’s roadie a few times. Nice guy. He tried to organize me some Inersha goodies but it seemed the guys didn’t bring any merch besides CDs. Oh well, at least he tried.
- Worst moment: While watching Pestroy, a chick kept on bumping into me. I pushed her away so she poured her drink on my hair and new Pestroy t-shirt. Still haven’t got the stains out.
- Dumbass of the weekend: Basti, for his sleepwalking attempt.
- Biggest disappointment: Wonderboom not being able to play. That meant that 16Stitch got to play earlier, at the same time as Inersha, which in turn meant that most of the crowd watched 16Stitch. What a bummer, cause the Inersha guys deserved a bigger crowd than they got. They gave an excellent performance. At least I got to be right in front and got some awesome video clips of the guys.
- Biggest Surprise: Blindside’s performance. They exceeded my expectations. Since they were closing the festival and I was tired, I almost skipped their performance. I was glad to have watched them. They rocked.
- Worst inhibitor: The dust! I had to leave Wickhead's performance early cause I couldn’t handle the dust and missed out on several others for the same reason.
- Biggest bore: Martin. He slept most of the time.
- Assholes of the weekend: our neighbours, the Bulls supporters who kept us up on both nights with their drunken “BULLE” shouts all night. Bloubulle, vokjulle.
- Funniest moment: Hikatori’s bassist singing “Ek droom van vissies” in that sweet little voice of his. Cracks me up every time.
- Most well behaved: ME! I drank and drank, lots of water too, so no sick moments for me!
- Proudest Boob: Martin’s, signed by Fred from Inersha. He walked around proudly afterwards, showing anyone and everyone, that he was “protected by Fred”. Shame.
- Proudest Moments: posing for photos with Emile (The Narrow), Deon (The Narrow), Kerran (Inersha), Andrew (16Stitch) and Inersha. Thanks guys, you are so cool! Oh, and having Mark from Wickhead join us at our tent for a while as he had a look at my programme and signed my CD.
- Worst pick up line: While I was on my way to the toilets, a guy was following me. I eventually turned around and he said he knows me, that we have met before. I gave him a confused look so he repeated, “we met before. Ten seconds ago”.
- Best dressed: the three transvestites. Suitable candidates for Martin and Ferdi’s Navy.
- Loudest Scream: Me, on Barney Simon’s microphone.
- Worst Injuries: Me again, ever the accident-prone, got headbutted (by mistake by Berny), scratched (by a guy!), bumped and elbowed in the face.
- And last, but definitely not least, BEST PARTNER IN CRIME: Berny. She watched most of my fave bands with me, screamed, posed, and got her arms and chest covered with autographs with me, by all those dishy boys.

It was definitely a lot of fun! Cant believe it was over so quickly. I am gonna attempt to put up a few pics later.

5 comments:

CaZ said...

Not much hey! We had plenty of chippssss though, and Berny and I had a pie each on Saturday night. Dunno what the others ate. Though the heat kind of killed my appetite. I took Barney Simon's advice - one glass of water, two glasses of (insert here) beer, SoCo, Smirnoff etc. It definitely helped!

Next year you are coming with!! NO EXCUSES!!!

Anonymous said...

Cazzy it was the best weekend of my life. iNeRsHa is now my fav SA Band by far! oh Sorry about the headbutt, hehehe. I cant wait for Woodstock 9!!!!

CaZ said...

Forgiven and forgotten!!! At least I got a CD in the process!!

I cant wait for Woodstock 9 either, it's bound to be even better! And Tink, YOU HAVE TO COME! We will drink till all the boys get pretty!

The Real Marbro said...

i wasnt asleep the whole time..Cailin fell asleep before me alot.And um basti passed out aswell


WHERE ARE MY BOOBIES

CaZ said...

Look up, and you will see them.