Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bloody vampires

No, I am not talking about my favourite past-time, vampires, just yet, I am still busy drafting a few pieces on that. I am talking about the blood sucking vampires that want me to donate blood. They have been hounding me for the past few months to come and donate, but since my tonsillectomy, I was not able to do so. My grace period is now finally over so I could donate this morning, here at the gym.

I always thought that I was not allowed to donate blood as I had hepatitis when I was 9. Bedridden for 3 god-forsaken months. But apparently, as I found out this year, if you had this damn disease before 12, then it's ok to donate blood. So who would have thought that my evil blood would be ok to donate? Ha ha.

So my friend and I went down to the gym so we could be poked with needles. Ugh. She couldn't donate as she had an op recently, but decided to stand by me and keep me company through this dark moment. I looked away and winced while a nurse inserted a thick needle into my right arm. It was painful, but I am a big girl, I can take it. Soon my blood started to pour into the plastic bag. My friend noticed that my blood was extremely dark - well, it's evil, helllooooooo. Of course its going to be dark!!! (Actually, it's cause of the high iron content, I eat a lot of red meat. But why tell her that?)

Before I was done, we had a bit of a laugh at some guy's expense. Now, normally, if you want to impress two girls, most guys would act macho and take this blood donating thing like a man, right? Not this one. Even though he is a regular donor, he became quite the drama queen and had a fainting fit. The nurses made him lie in the middle of the room on a mat while he recovered. I looked at my friend, smirked and said "no one likes a sissy".

This was my second donation, and I felt ok. Had a bit of a dizzy spell but no dramatic faint.

5 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

they dont pay me...i dont donate!simple

and their gifts are kak!

CaZ said...

But what if something happened to YOU?

You should do it out of the goodness of your heart. I dont care for their gifts, I just feel happy to do something good for a change.

Anonymous said...

I love donating blood, its for a good cause.

Marbro I get your point seeing that when you need the blood they charge you a crap load even though you always donate

CaZ said...

That's probably because not many people donate. There is a huge blood shortage.

CaZ said...

Mine too, mine too. Im itching to devote an entire month to this topic, but I need to do some research first.

I wanna be a vampire.