Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th

Brrrrrr, we have one of those again! For the first time ever, I think, we are celebrating this much feared day in style. Ok, we are just rounding up some people for a braai at our place (no, we are not cooking them…) with plenty of booze and snacky things. Should be fun. Incidentally, in Argentina (as well as Greece and Spain) we consider Tuesday 13th and not Friday, as unlucky. While I lived there I remember several bad things happening on such days. Starting a journey or getting married on this day was discouraged as you were bound to get unlucky. Coincidence? Or did we just notice them more because such days were considered “unlucky”?

So how did Friday the 13th get to become unlucky in other parts of the world? Some historians go as far back as the “Black Friday” where hundreds of Knight Templars were arrested and subsequently tortured after they were proclaimed heretics. This happened on October 13, 1307.

But is Friday really unlucky? Like I mentioned before, maybe we just tend to notice bad things happening more on such days because we were brought up to believe that bad things happen then. So it’s all psychological, right?

The movie industry certainly picked up on this phenomenon very quickly and started the Friday the 13th movie franchise – something which tortured my dreams when I was small. Jason visited my nightmares regularly, with his hockey mask and bloody knife. In fact, he still gives me the chills.

Have any of you been unlucky on Friday the 13th? To be honest, I can’t remember any particular incident as I have never really taken notice of this day. Tonight I just plan to party the night away, and maybe get a glimpse of Paris Hilton been hacked to death in House of Wax (she does get hacked, doesn’t she? Oh, please let it be so!).

Hope you all have a not so unlucky Friday the 13th!!! Mooohahahahahha!!!


5 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

i miss jason.


as for paris, something goes through her head.think its a long nail or something.i fell asleep during the movie,berny will know

CaZ said...

Cooollllll! I like!! Hopefully its gory and gruesome!!

Anonymous said...

That is the best part of the movie.
Yeah some object goes through her head...
Reminded me of one night in paris. hehehehe

m said...

Never been unlucky on Friday the 13th. It's Friday the 4th that rains cow dung and battery acid on unsuspecting bystanders.

found you through iRob.

CaZ said...

Haha. I will be sure to look out for any Friday the 4ths!!!!

Thanks for popping in montchan