Friday, October 27, 2006

Winex 2006


I went to Winex at the Sandton Convention Centre last night, with Ferdi, Weasel, Berny, Uli, Ingrid and Sonja. Since I work for FNB, and soon will be working for RMB, I managed to score some free tickets, for the third year running. Aren't I a lucky brat. We decided to make a late entrance, so as not to overdue the wine tasting thing, plus after a while it just gets a tad too much walking around in circles from stand to stand.

At first we were a bit shy in approaching a stall. I quickly reminded everyone that we shouldn't feel guilty about asking to sample a wine, since this is what we were specifically here for!! So I picked the first stand, which was called Mooiplaas, and was attended by a South African actress (according to Berny, she has appeared in Egoli and Sewende Laan). Just dont ask me what her name was cause I cant remember. We tried some white Sauvignon, which was a bit dry. I prefer semi-sweet wines, but my pallet soon became accustomed to the dry wines that I got to sample - there were more dry wines on show than semi-sweet. Sheesh, dont I sound like the wine connoisseur!! To be honest, I dont know my cabernet from my chardonnay, but I am starting to see the differences in them.

I looked round and round for Schalk Burger's daddy's stand but the more I looked, the dizzier I got. In the end I never did find it, but at least I tried their wines last year. The best wine of the night for me was one from a wine farm called "Landzicht" (Ferdi affectionally referred to it as Landshit), which is situated in Jacobsdal, near Kimberley. Very good semi-sweet wine, Blumchen (cant believe I remember it, Ingrid!). Another was Slowine (where do these guys get their names?), which is a Paul Cluver, Villiersdorp Co-op, Beaumont and Luddite Collaboration. The poor chap was happy to let us sample some wine and looked at Ferdi incredulously as he photographed his three stone tortoises on display. Haha.

My girls and I (aka the sisterhood) flirted shamelessly with the guy from KWV, who gave us some tips on how to sound like wine experts. It worked, and he also filled our glasses almost to the brim.

We ended the evening at McDonalds in Sandton - we realised how hungry we were! We sat outside near a guy who was playing with his laptop. Much to his amusement and laughter, we provided some light entertainment by singing out loud to the songs on our cellphones. Yes, we were pissed. But happy.

Now I have a moerse hangover. Thank god it's Friday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realised who she is, she played in Egoli as lynette. her real name is Ilse Roos.
There was some damn good wine there!
Thanks Cazzy for an awesome night!

CaZ said...

My pleasure.

Yeah, my friend just told me her name. It was on the tip of my tongue the whole night!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Need to get to civilization ASAP........The Freestate sucks we have nothing remotely even like that ever happening here!

Anonymous said...

Hey, remember the guy who went all the way to the bathroom to clean his glass, what a dumbass. But the balcony for the smokers freaked me out the most, im swear that thing was close to collapsing. Oh, and Berny thought the NETCARE was NEWSCAFE, im sure NETCARE would have been able to rpovide her something...

CaZ said...

Haha!!! I remember that!!! We need to get Berny some good prescription glasses. Heheh.

And remember that chick who was gesturing with her hands so much that she almost knocked my glass out of my hand??!!!

Nic, you have to move to JHB, fast. Three years is just too long to wait!! I miss you bud!!

Anonymous said...

It was the wine that made me think it was newscafe, the signs look alike

Anonymous said...

Damn i got such a freight when ferdi jumped into the elevator, i swear that thing moved. And the balcony for the smokers, i think i have quite smoking, haha. I think we should have a wine festival at shawns place tonight, haha, shame, no, we cant do that. But hope we get to do something like that again. Oh ja, and when we were at the Port stand, Bernie asked for the port in the funky bottle, that was funny.

Anonymous said...

Pitty we didtn take any pictures, besides the ones of the turtles, haha.