Monday, November 06, 2006

Zambia: Day Two


Day two in Zambia began earlier than I wanted it to, after all the jolling the night before. We had to get up early for a meeting with hotel management - to prepare the night's big event. Breakfast was just as delicious as dinner, always a buffet. There was so much to choose from that I didnt know where to begin.

I said to Karen, "these hotel guests better make the most of the peace and quiet now, cause it's gonna end soon!"There was still plenty of time till our hooligans arrived so we passed the time by the pool, tanning and swimming, trying to cool ourselves from the heat. I soon went from red to brown, much to my delight. The water in the pool was a welcome relief. I spent most of the morning and afternoon in there, even though my skin was wrinkly. Karen and I had planned to change before everyone arrived - god forbid they saw me in my bikini!! - but I just never got round to do that, the pool was too nice. So what if they all saw me half naked???

The first group arrived just after one in the afternoon. I saw one of my friends so there I go, out of the pool, run towards her and give her a nice big wet hug. Hahaha. They checked into their rooms and joined us by the pool. It was actually quite nice, all of us hanging out (unless I count all the times I was dunked in the pool). And all it took was five minutes before my boss and co got moaned at by the (very hot and sexy) hotel manager for drinking beer in the pool - if they broke a glass in the pool, there'd be chaos. They were moaned at 4 times before they finally got the message. My boss, as usual, had to embarrass me by saying that I looked cute with freckles on my face (first time he has seen me without make-up).

The other two groups arrived soon after, and after several hours in the pool, we all got ready for dinner and the big party. The theme for the evening was sports, so we had to dress up as a sportsperson. Karen and I went against the usual, and dressed up as cowgirl cheerleaders (not the Blue Bulls ones!!). We got several nods and whistles of approval. Heh heh.

I didnt eat much as I was too hyper and excited about the party. Even though our drinks took forever to get to us (a lot of people sobered up quickly while waiting), I had a good time, on the dancefloor and outside by the bar. I put on my party tshirt (see pic above) that a colleague bought for me and became the life and soul of the party. The DJ just knew exactly what to play to keep us entertained.

It was nice to get reacquainted with some of my fellow colleagues from P.E., Cape Town and Durban. As the night progressed we moved to the pool to get over the heat, many people were already in, clothes and all. I then saw the perfect opportunity to cause some trouble, which turned out to be a career-limiting move: I pushed my boss into the pool. Wish I had known that he was also wearing his R1700 brand new Oasics takkies. He got out, picked me up from the ground, and threw me in (luckily I removed my boots earlier). I must still find out who was the dumbass that ratted me out cause it was so dark out there he couldnt have seen who pushed him in.

I got bored swimming up and down, so a friend and I went to my room for some Jack Daniels(I had my own stash). He poured us a few shots and then I was finished. No more for me, thanks. Then there was a knock on the door, I ran to open it, slipped (the floor was slippery, ok?), and cut my arm with the metal dustbin. There was blood everywhere. My friend was beside himself trying to get the bleeding to stop - in fact, he was more worried than I was. I opened the door, and there was Karen, looking at me, on the floor, with blood spattered on the walls. It must have been quite a sight. No kidding.

They rushed me to first aid and got me cleaned up. I should have gone for stitches but I couldnt have cared less - Im getting too used to all these cuts, happening way too often - should be worried, hey? When that was done I was told that the party had ended cause it had started to rain. Who would have thought. We met one of the other guys on the way so us four went back to my room for some dodgy coffee (the guys put Jack in it), light conversation and then off to bed.

And that is day two. Watch this space for more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm Jack in coffee