Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Zambia: Day Four

The final day had finally arrived. Though I was sad that this weekend had come and gone so quickly, after so much excitement and anticipation, I was also glad to be going home. Enough partying already! Ok, that's sort of a lie, I can never tire of partying!

Getting up on this Sunday morning was more difficult than ever. Not only was I exhausted, sore, and hungover, but I hardly managed to fall asleep as my bladder kept me up all night. Note to self: dont drink 4 bottles of water before you go to bed.

I showered, got dressed and went on with the horrible task of packing all my stuff. Then I made the slow walk to breakfast. It was no surprise that I was hungry, since I had lost my breakfast AND dinner, but nevertheless the food was hard to swallow due to the hangover. There was no time for much else, so I went back to my room to grab my handbag and proceeded to check out at reception. Most of the crowd was already gathered there, waiting for their transfers to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye to some of the people. I probably wont see a lot of them until next year - if we have another weekend away, that is.

As luck would have it, Karen and I were on the last flight back to JHB so that we could make sure that everyone else made it safely back. So we were the last to leave the hotel, just after 12. I was tired, hungry and more cranky than ever. At the airport, most of our pepple were still there waiting for their flight, so that meant even more waiting for us. After their plane took off, we waited for about another 30 minutes till we finally left Zambian soil. Again, the flight was quick, though I managed to get about 15 minutes' shut eye. Not enough, but definitely more than welcome!

At JHB, we had to go through another round of waiting - this time for our luggage. It took almost an hour for me to get my bag - probably cause the crew was busy having a good time going through all the luggage, looking at what they could steal. Luckily, my bag came in one piece. So I said my final farewells to the people that were still lurking around, and went out to meet Berny, Ferdi and Weasel. But there were too many people, and I could not see them. I knew they were hiding, trying to worry me, so I waited till they found me.

I had a craving for waffles, since my boss had them for breakfast that morning, so I treated the kids to some ice cream/milkshakes/waffles for me, at Milky Lane. I was slowly dozing off, and was dreading having to unpack before I finally got into my comfy bed. Eventually I got that all done, and went off to la-la land.

This was definitely a weekend to remember! And one that I am still struggling to recover from!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good trip!
I was not hiding they kidnapped me, sorry.
Oh and thanks again for the milkshake it was yummy!