Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Blooming beggars

So yesterday afternoon I was waiting outside the office for Ferdi, who was a few blocks away but stuck in heavy traffic, where out of nowhere pops out this man and starts to talk to me. Call me rude, but generally I dont like to talk to strangers, especially in town. He started to tell me how he is struggling to make a living and wont I please help him out by buying what looked to me like incense sticks (s0mething Im not really allowed to burn at home).

Normally, I wouldnt mind helping someone in need, I try to be charitable every now and then but in this case I held back for 2 reasons: 1. I dont like to bring out my purse in the middle of town and 2. even though this guy was standing about a metre away from me, I could smell alcohol in his breath. He reeked of it and was highly repulsive. I wanted to say to him, "piss of, you drunk" but instead opted for the safer reply of "sorry, I dont have any money on me". A little white lie, but at least I got rid of him. He muttered something under his breath and approached his next victim.

If he is struggling so much, then how the hell can he afford to buy alcohol?? I am not prepared to help anyone who just drinks their money away. If you can afford booze, then you can afford food and shelter too. Dont expect any sympathy from me. There are people out there in far worse situations, and those are the ones I am willing to help out.

3 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

why would he need incense?

i dont give them jack shitt. cause if i can work, they can too,some are just to goddam lazy

CaZ said...

No, man, he wanted me to buy them from him.

Well for some its not that easy to find a job - unemployment is a huge reality and some people really struggle to find jobs. I just have no sympathy for the ones that dont bother to do anything about it, who sit on their lazy asses all day and expect hand outs. And the ones, like this moron, who waste their money on booze.

Anonymous said...

I have no respect for people like that guy.
good on you cazzy! you did help him, by not giving him money you saved his liver from a terrible doom