Thursday, November 16, 2006

As clear as mud

That's a phrase we have been using a lot around the office lately. Whatever is happening to our division, is as "clear as mud". Every day there are new rumours floating around, announcements been made, people moving here, people moving there, people leaving, getting pregnant, having bitch fights. You name it. It's all fun and games here, people. Management have tried to quash all the rumours by "sitting us down and telling us what is going to happen" but they might as well be talking in riddles in another language. They make as much sense as a one year old that is learning to talk.

What I do know is that our whole division is being split up, this time for certain. Which is sad, cause it was working so well. Last Thursday, my boss told me casually, while I was waiting for the lifts, that I was moving to the Sandton office with him, early in January. Well, that's nice. At least I finally know where I am going. And that means a whole lot more opportunities for me to further my career and learn more about the business. I honestly cant wait, and while I am sad to leave a lot of my colleagues behind, in the end I have to look after my own prospects.

My closest friend here at the bank is remaining behind. She phoned me in tears last Friday while I was at home. She really wanted to join us in Sandton, and that was where we all thought she was going to go, until someone intervened and changed her future. And the way they handled telling her was not right either, as she heard it through the grapevine before the bosses told her officially. Now that is nice.

But at the end of the day, we all have to look at the bright side of life. We still have our jobs - we may not all be going where we planned to go, but at least we have somewhere to go. Usually, in these cases where huge changes take place, a lot of retrenchments go with it, but we were lucky here, no one lost their job. We still had several resignations - but that was because many of them were uncertain about their jobs. I wish them all the best in their new jobs. Good for them.

The story may change tomorrow, as we have learnt these past few months. So until January, I am staying put, maybe throw out a few files here and there, and will pack my stuff on the very last day, cause "they" might just suddenly change their minds again, and make me stay.

I just have to keep this in mind: "where one door closes, another one opens". So true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything happens for a reason!
Shame its kak that your friend has to stay behind, maybe they will change the plans again and she will join everyone in Sandton.