Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Happy Women's Day

Tomorrow is Women's Day, so yay, public holiday! I think every day should be women's day but seeing as this is a godforsaken men's world, who am I to say this.

I went to a Women's Day breakfast yesterday at Rand Merchant Bank where the former CEO of Umgeni Water gave an inspirational talk (I wish I could remember her name, sorry, my bad). She has an impressive CV, which included making a massive turn-around at a company that was making an incredible loss. She spoke of how she set herself a goal to stay in this company for just five years and achieve what was thought to be the impossible. And she did it.

This woman got through to me. She said that in order to succeed in this world, you have to fight for yourself. There will always be opportunities out there, but don't expect for them to be handed to you on a silver-plate, you literally have to fight for them. And all that you do, has to be for yourself. Don't waste your time worrying about what others think of you. You have to remain true to yourself.

That really made me take a good look at myself. I am constantly complaining about how unhappy I am with my job etc. So, the only way that will change is if I do something about it. If I just sit here and moan all the time, no good is going to come out of it. It's time to make a change. It definitely won't happen overnight, but all I know is that I am not going to let good opportunities pass me by, like I have in the past. Otherwise, there is always this:


Ha ha. Enjoy your day off tomorrow everyone!!

"Invest in the human soul. Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough"

May McLeod Bethune

No comments: