Thursday, August 17, 2006

bCompetent

Our division started a new initiative this year called "bCompetent" to test our skills and knowledge regarding our products, services and general rules and guidelines. It's a great incentive to multi-skill our staff. We work on the international side of the bank and offer products ranging from foreign exchange, exchange control, rand account services and trade services. There is a lot of rules and regulations involving each and every product and can be quite extensive work. I started out with trade services when I joined this division (I now work for it's sales and marketing department) so my expertise lies in that area.

So this "bCompetent" competition was introduced across all our regions in South Africa - i.e. Gauteng, Northern Region, KZN, Western Cape and Eastern Cape. The first and second rounds was an individual pc based test that was to be completed in one hour. The top 10 departments would go to the semi-finals, consisting of the top 5 individual scorers in each area. My department has made it through to the semis and Im one of the lucky contestants (I came second in my team).

Tomorrow is the semi-final and I have been stressing about trying to cram a thick file of information into my brain this week. Only the top 5 teams go through to the finals (on Sept 20) and speed is of an essence, so we have to answer 45 questions correctly as soon as possible. The ultimate prize is R20 000 in travel vouchers plus spending money. All the finalists will also each receive an i-pod. I am very competitive and intend to win - though we have tough competition. Our strongest competitors had a "strategy meeting" yesterday to prepare for tomorrow. Sounds kind of lame to me, but the fact that they are taking this so seriously worries me. I am almost positive we will go through to the finals but I am not taking any chances. So I am leaving early today to study as much as I can. My weakness exchange control: there are way too many regulations there. Wish SA would do away with it for once and for all!

So I will let you all know the outcome tomorrow, results should be out tomorrow afternoon!

1 comment:

CaZ said...

Oh goodness! I am stressed out as it is! Thanks a lot Rob!