Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Answer the question! Eish

On
  • JNF we have recently been having a discussion on whether dear ol' Manto, our health minister should be in or out. After all her recent shenanigans, there is a strong tendency for the majority to say: "OUT!" She was a huge embarrassment to this country at a recent International Aids Conference in Canada, going on about her magic cure for Aids - garlic and lemons, and failing to even mention ARVs.

    Granted, leading a healthy lifestyle by eating garlic, lemons, pampoen if you like etc, will surely keep Aids at bay if you have the HIV virus (yes, Mr Mbeki, HIV does in fact cause Aids) and prolong your life, but vegetables are a complement to ARVs, Mrs Msimang, NOT a substitute! A person in her stature should be careful about what they say - there are a lot of gullible and uneducated people out there! What an ambassador we have here! How can anyone possibly respect this woman?

    Just to show how stupid this woman is, here is a transcript of an interview by John Robbie, that was done a few years ago, with Madam Manto (thanks Tink):

    Robbie: You have said that the policy of the ministry is well known. Do you accept that HIV causes Aids?
    Tshabalala-Msimang: Why do you ask me that question today? I have answered that question umpteen times.
    R: Yes, and the answer is?
    T-M: Umpteen times I have answered that question. My whole track record of having worked at the area of HIV and Aids for the last 20 years is testimony. Why should you ask me that question today?
    R: You haven't answered the question, Manto.
    T-M: Why should you ask me that question?
    R: To avoid confusion.
    T-M: I have never said anything contrary to what you want me to say today.
    R: So, therefore, you accept that HIV causes Aids.
    T-M: You are not going to put words into my mouth.
    R: I am not putting words into your mouth. I am asking you a question.
    T-M: Yes you are.
    R: I am asking you a straight - now hold on a second - I am asking you a straight question, the minister of health of South Africa, I am asking you a question: does HIV cause Aids?
    T-M: I have been party to developing a strategic framework and that strategy testifies what my policy understandings of the HIV epidemic are. If you haven't read that, please go and read it. And then you will understand where I depart from.
    R: Manto, Manto. A simple yes or no is the answer I am looking for.
    T-M: You will not force me into a corner into saying yes or no.
    R: I am not forcing you into a corner, I am asking you a straight question - I find your reaction bizarre.
    T-M: I would advise you to read the strategic framework. You have to analyse it. It is important for the media to inform the public about the positions of government ... It is time that when you interview people, not on yes or no, but on the tenets of the framework.
    R: Manto, we have gone as far as we can go. I find your reaction to that question absolutely bizarre and that is my final word on it.
    T-M: I am not Manto to you. Let me tell you I am not Manto to you.
    R: What are you?
    T-M: I am the minister of health and I don't even know you.
    R: So, what must I address you as, Miss Minister or Ms Minister or Mrs Minister?
    T-M: I don't know whatever you address me, but I am not a friend.
    R: How must I address you?
    T-M: I don't know - but you have to read the strategic framework.
    R: Bizarre.
    T-M: And I ...
    R: Oh go away!
    T-M: And I am ...
    R: I cannot take that rubbish any longer. Can you believe it? I have never in my life heard rubbish.

    How bizarre indeed! That these kind of people are running our country!
  • 6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    When the heck is someone going to slap that IDIOT upside the head and tell her to stop embarrassing South Africa???

    Oh heck, that probably won't work. we just need to get rid of her and as for Mbeki... he's no better!!

    How FRUSTRATING not being able to do anything about it!!

    Anonymous said...

    Long Live Department of health! Oh wait. Did I just make a stupid comment???

    CaZ said...

    Yes, you did.
    Parliament has become a circus. And we are the idiots that keep on paying their salaries.

    Anonymous said...

    Yeah well.. What we gonna do about it? Start a revolt? HA!! We have a better chance of crapping diamonds. Hey wait. that could make me money. Lets try!!

    CaZ said...

    Ha ha, yeah, well you do that and then share your profits with me so we can take over the country.
    Shudder.
    Nah, I'd rather just sit here and pick my nose.
    Thing is, most of us (in the minority group) have that same kind of thinking - that there is nothing we can do about this, so we just DO NOTHING!

    Anonymous said...

    Whoa, Cazz mentioned my name ... I'm FAMOUS!!