Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Gathering Storm

Trouble is brewing here in the office. There are a lot of whispers behind closed doors, bosses going into urgent unprecedented meetings in their suits and ties, and of course, lots of gossiping during coffee breaks between yours truly and my female buddies. Tempers are flying. I hardly see my boss these days. Something is definitely going to happen soon and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our CEO is busy with a new structure. After having restructured our division, time and time again, it’s no surprise that after three years, we are now up for a new change. It’s inevitable. Let’s face it, our bosses get bored and since they have nothing better to do, they are going to shuffle us once around again.

I don’t have a problem with it. I welcome change, makes things exciting, as long as I still have a job at the end of the day. The problem lies with three of our senior managers, one of them being my boss, and another, my former boss. In the end, there can only be one. Just like Highlander. Who will be the one to survive in the end? Who will outplay, outwit and outlast them all? Damn, this is better than watching Survivor!

I suppose that we will know soon enough. An urgent meeting has been scheduled for some time this morning and all will be soon revealed, methinks. In the meantime, us plebs are sitting here, waiting, pretending to know nothing, nada, and munching our popcorn in anticipation. The suspense is killing me. I wonder if we will ever move to Sandton. I, for one, would love the move. A change of scenery, and new people to gawk at, would do me a lot of good.

We are never short of any drama here in the office. There is always talk of someone doing another someone, people committing some naughties, getting suspended/fired/rewarded, and all and all and all. So my colleague and I thought it would be a good idea to start our own soap opera, just to kill some boring days here, and spice it up with some talent. My boss will be played by George Clooney, since he considers himself a bit of a gigolo, and my former boss will be played by Orlando “Pirates” Bloom, though he will have to put on a bit of weight for the part. I, of course, will play myself and Wentworth Miller will be my personal assistant. Not that I really have one, but I could use one, and every girl needs a love interest in a soap opera, damnit! It’s my story, so I call the shots!!

Ah…these are the days of our corporate lives.

4 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

the only excitement in my office is when i make coffee instead of tea.

i wanna work by you

CaZ said...

If it means adding to the office gossip, then no, you cant work here.

CaZ said...

Anything for you Tink! Something tells me not much work would be done in this soap opera - which is just what happens in regular soapies, these people never work!

CaZ said...

Make tea? Dude, we have waiters that do that for us! How dare you suggest such an obscenity??!!

We are based in the middle of Jozi, eish. In town, right next to the godforsaken taxi rank.