Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Hi's and Lo's of 2006

2006 went by faster than ever. Though it started badly (I got so drunk that I went to bed just after the stroke of midnight) it ended rather well, but in retrospect, it was one of the worst years I have ever experienced. I intend to make 2007 stand heads and shoulders above the rest. Like one of my colleagues said to me a few days ago, “this is your (my) year! Go for it!”

Looking back, I have put together a list of highlights and lowlights of 2006. Let’s start with the good ones:

Highlights
- In January, I went on holiday to Cape Town for the first time in my life. There I met Jeremy and the rest of the Cape Town JNF’ers. It was good to finally chat to them face to face and enjoyed my time there. I plan to go back soon so I can go see the places I didn’t get a chance to visit, like Table Mountain.
- Health-wise, I got back into a strenuous gym programme to improve and strengthen my back, which certainly paid off. I also ran the JP Morgan for the third time in a row, plus I did the 8-week Cycle Challenge. My team came first in the ladies category.
- The coolest, funniest man in PE, aka Vomitboy, finally came to visit us in Jozi, it was the first time he ever set foot in our smelly city. We spent one of the best, fun-filled, hilarious weeks with him, AND learnt how to play poker!!
- It was a great moment of sport when SA played the most exciting, nailbiting cricket match against Australia, and I was one of the lucky ones who was there to see it, at Wanderers.
- I got involved in a lot of social awareness this year, which opened my eyes and heart to people less fortunate than me. I hope to continue with this throughout 2007 and onwards.
- Finally caught the blog bug and started to pen (or in this case, type) my thoughts for friends and strangers alike to peek into my crazy world.
- I was captain of the girls volleyball team at our church’s annual Youth Day (Jugendtag) and we won the tournament! It was the best weekend we had in years at this get-together, despite (or because of) me getting motherlessly drunk, and falling out of a tree!
- Out of all the beerfests I attended this year (three in total), our church’s one was the best and most eventful. I was part of the organizing committee this time and will carry on with this task in 2007, and will strive to make it even more successful than the last.
- After a lot of hassles and almost giving up, we managed to send mom and dad on a two month holiday to Argentina to see our relatives. After a 12 year absence and longing for the motherland, they were welcomed with open arms and spoiled by our country folk. They thoroughly enjoyed it.
- And so did we, their two month absence, that is. Besides missing mommy’s cooking, washing, cleaning, ironing (damn, she really spoils us), we enjoyed our independence and made use of the freedom to throw several drunken parties/interventions/ladies’ nights, haha.
- At work we got involved in a major individual and group internal quiz. After long hours of study and stressing, I made it into the finals. My group came second and we walked away with an I-POD each. Not bad!
- Woodstock 8 ROCKED!!!! This time we got a bigger group together, including Cailin, whom I met for the first time. We camped all weekend at a prime spot in front of the two main stages. Cant wait for the next one!!
- I went to Zambia in hot hot November with the sales team and enjoyed some relaxing days under the sun, and parties until the early hours.
- Friends that I hadn’t spoken to in years got hold of me and I have been catching up with them ever since. One of them is Nicole, whom I have known since I arrived in SA, and I will be seeing her again for the first time in over 6 years, when she comes to JHB later in January. I cant wait.
- Ever the groupie, I got to know some really cool bands, like Chromium and iNeRsHa, both of whom will be playing at my birthday bash soon.
- Though I didn’t go to our work’s Year End Function, I did go to RMB’s much cooler, Year-End do, where we had to don our school uniforms for a back-to-school theme party. It reminded me of how much I miss being a kid.
- Not much else, except to say that we ended the year with a stolen stop sign in our back garden – story to follow soon…

Lowlights
- While I was in Cape Town I played a joke on everyone that I was stranded in George. While most fell hook, line and sinker to mine and Jeremy’s well contrived devious plan, karma slapped me hard on the face when, on my return to JHB, the plane had to turn back to Cape Town halfway there, due to engine failure. I arrived back, in JHB, five hours after schedule, tired and admitting defeat. I swore never to play another prank on another living soul for as long as I live.
- I got tonsillitis several times this year until my doctor and I finally gave up and ordered them to have them removed. It was painful, it was hell, it was something that a 26 year old like me should never have to go through again!
- The 2006 Soccer World Cup was the worst ever. What an upset! Argentina really let me down this time.
- There were several drinking “accidents” where I sustained several injuries by falling out of trees, down the stairs, in a hotel room, passing out in Weasel’s car, outside others’ cars, etc. Yet I carry on drinking. At least, if I die, I will die numb.
- The Currie Cup was kak. So was the Super 14. And so is our national cricket/rugby team.
- Nickelback, the lazy bastards, cancelled their tour to SA, due to fatigue. I wont be repurchasing a ticket when eventually they do decide to come over.
- I lost a good friend due to a horrible illness. Claudia, RIP.
- I turned 27, though in my mind, I am still 17 (best year ever).
- Relationship-wise, I am not going to comment much, but I will just say that I made some terrible decisions in my choice of men of late. Three times too many.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a year you had, My list wont even be half as long.
Well as long as 2007 will include alot of drunken nights then I'll forget 2006

Anonymous said...

What a year! Your life is interesting and full of new experiences which are always enjoyable to read. Every experience you have both the bad and and the good make you the beautiful person that you are.I look forward to us sharing many great times together this year 2007. As William Wallace once said" All men die but few of them really live!"

CaZ said...

Well, I think that its the bad experiences that really make me appreciate the good ones so yeah, I have no regrets. No use worrying about the past. I have a good feeling about 2007, especially on the 27th of Jan!!!!

Lets drink to more good times ahead!!