Tuesday, July 25, 2006

South African Music

One of the things I really love about South Africa is its abundance of kick-ass rock bands. Over the past 6 years or so, I have seen hundreds of quality bands coming out on to the rock scene. Pity that a lot of them don’t get much radio airplay since a lot of this music is not “radio-friendly” – what a load of bull. Radio can stick it you know where…

Last Friday I went to watch The Narrow at Roxy’s – one of the best hangouts in Joburg where you can see some of SA’s finest bands. MyEpic (formerly known as Blow) opened for them and we managed to catch their last 3 songs before the Narrow came on. They have really improved a lot since their Blow days, haha. The Narrow is one of my favourite South African bands. They have an amazing stage presence and always get the crowd going. I managed to secure a spot right in front, under their dishy guitarist, Emile De Jong. Mmmm. I almost got mauled by the mosh pit, and hurt my elbow quite a bit, but the pain and bruises were definitely worth it.

Rumours are that The Narrow have been signed by an overseas label, most likely an American one, after their recent trip to LA. This means that they will be relocating, which is a pity, but these boys deserve to go global. I wish them well!

Other favourite South African bands of mine are 16Stitch, Pestroy, Wickhead, Wonderboom, SixofNine, Prime Circle, Bloodline, Inersha, Fuzigish, Sugardrive and Unwritten Friday, among others. This year I will be going to Woodstock again, third year in a row, and I can’t wait to see all these bands and others, during this action packed weekend! It’s gonna be awesome!

SA ROCKS!!

No comments: