Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The joys of training

The past few days I have been sitting in a tiny cold room listening to some guy try to teach us how to use Business Objects. It's very useful tool that allows you to run your own reports, the way you want them. But what I learnt in two days, I could seriously have learnt in half a day. I can't really complain, it was two days out of the office. Plus I got home at at 15:30, both days so I could chill at home and do nothing. But that was serious precious time, wasted, all gone, can't get it back now.

What is it about trainers that can't seem to get moving at a faster pace? Is it me, that is too quick to grasp new concepts? Or are they just too slow? This dude struggled to construct a proper sentence, used the word "basically" way too many times and didn't know how to use a projector (half the time he even forgot to switch it on).

So, after doing all the boring introductions around the room, he started with the lesson, skipped module one, went straight to module two, no explanations whatsoever on how to log on to the system and start from scratch. So when it comes to exercise time and we are all busy struggling with this thing, he suddenly says "oh, yeah, I didnt tell you guys that I have a different method of teaching. And I forgot to tell you how to log on. Ooops! My bad". Something tells me he should relook at his methods then. I finished all my exercises in record time or didn't bother to do them at all. It's not like he checked, so why bother?

When it came to lunch time, he got us down to the cafeteria fifteen minutes before the food was even served. Just to avoid "the rush". Hmm, didn't see any rush, none at all. Food was kak and all, but at least it was paid for. The only problem was, that to get me to concentrate after having a full meal was a mammoth task. If I wasn't falling asleep behind my pc, I was busy playing Freecell, just to keep awake. Man, it was hard - the staying awake part, not the game.

I still gave him a fair rating though, at the end of the course. Guess I am too nice, but I did feel bad, he did at least try a bit. And I didnt come empty-handed. I got this nifty little cooler bag where I can hide my booze at work. Cool. And yes, I learnt some stuff. Now I am ready to do my reports with my own "Winnie the Pooh" templates! Wait till my boss gets a load of this, ha ha.

5 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

That winnie idea was mine!

i love training,out of the office,in a hotel/confrence venue.ooo and normally if you dont work for a cheapskate company,they have good food.

CaZ said...

No, it was mine. You always try to steal my ideas.

Food is generally good for us, but this time they had too many veggies - Ferdi's worst nightmare.

I wanted chips but they said no. Bastards.

Anonymous said...

You know, Cazzy, when I worked for the terrible corporate, we used to go on lots of kak team building weekends and such, and I hated them.

The thing is, people can see right through the fake outer layers of management. Nothing changes when you go back to work, a few days later.

CaZ said...

So true. Though I enjoy our teambuilding weekends - you get to see a total different side to people, though it can get ugly.

Plus there is always free booze.

Anonymous said...

And free food. Lots of it.