Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Embarrassing Moments

This is Tuesday's blog...

I don’t know what happened to me on Sunday, which caused me to write such kak. Lol. I really must have been bored. The past few days have been quite busy so I haven’t been able to post anything. After 2 months of procrastinating, being sick and what not, I finally returned to the gym. I went to the pilates class yesterday and today I did some stretching, cycling and floor exercises with my instructor. I am quite stiff right now so I can hardly move right now. But I will still go for more torture tomorrow. Guess I am a sucker for pain.

The past two days I have been thinking a lot about embarrassing moments. I have had plenty of those but I conveniently erase them from my mind. But some, no matter how hard I try, still come back to haunt me. Like the time I walked into the men’s toilet at a work function. Riiigggghht, moving on. I get embarrassed quite easily, my cheeks go so red that I can feel my body temperature rising at least 20 degrees and my stomach doing cartwheels inside. I really don’t know how I get myself into these situations.

The one moment that will haunt me till the day I die happened when I was 10 years old. I used to be an extremely shy girl, and since I didn’t speak much English then, I tried to maintain a very low profile. One day I was sitting in class, minding my own business, when my teacher calls one of the boys in my class and says, “Daniel, why do you keep on turning around and staring at Carolina (that’s my full name) all the time? Do you like her?” His immediate answer was a yes which was followed by an eruption of laughter from the whole class. First my cheeks went red, then my heart was beating at an alarming rate, followed by tears that I fought to control. I was mortified! My teacher was unconcerned and carried on with the torture. She turned to me and said, “Carolina, do you like him?” I looked down at the floor and shook my head slowly. I couldn’t wait till I got home so I could just fall into bed and die. Soon after that I saw that Daniel kept a little card in his pocket that said “I love Carolina”. If I think about it now, it was actually rather sweet, but the fact that I was publicly humiliated like that just ruined everything. I did like him too…after all.

Well, now I can just think back and laugh, and think of what could have been, at the ripe age of 10, ha ha. Though I still blush every time I think about it!

At least my classroom experience wasn’t as bad as this one that I received via e-mail not so long ago:
This one actually happened at Harvard University. In a biology class, the professor was discussing the high glucose levels found in semen. A young female (freshman), raised her hand and asked, "If I understand what you are saying, there is a lot of glucose in male semen, as in sugar?"
"That's correct," responded the professor, going on to add much statistical data. Raising her hand again, the sweet young thing asked, "Then why doesn't it taste sweet?"
After a stunned silence, the whole class burst out laughing, the poor girl turned bright red and as she realized exactly what she had inadvertently said (or rather implied), she picked up her books without a word and walked out of the class. However, as she was going out of the door, the professor's reply was a classic. Totally straight-faced, he answered her question, "It doesn't taste sweet because the taste-buds for sweetness are on the tip of your tongue and not in the back of your throat!

1 comment:

The Real Marbro said...

aaaah the joys of alzheimers...Ive forgotten all my bad memories,But ive also forgotten my pants..hmmmm