Sunday, July 09, 2006

Don't talk to me about heros!

Last night my brothers, a friend and I decided to go watch "Superman" at the drive-in since we had nothing better to do on a Saturday night. We got there an hour early, and for the first time ever, we were turned away as the drive-in was full already! Who'd have thought that so many people wanted to see a man who wears his underwear on the outside??!! So we didn't get to see it, and instead watched "The Chronicles of Narnia" DVD at home.

Superman was probably the first action hero that was created, though I could be wrong as my comic book history is quite bad. I was first introduced to this hero when I watched the first Superman film, played by the late Christopher Reeves. I loved the catch phrase, "Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Superman!" Soon we got to see other characters, like Supergirl, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, etc.

Batman has always been my personal favourite. A rich businessman by day, a masked bat-like man by night, driving a swanky batmobile in Gotham City to rescue the damsel in distress and face evil opponents like the Penguin, Scarecrow and the Riddler. Several actors have put on the bat suit but my favourite, to this day, is Val Kilmer. He had all the mysterious air and sex appeal that was needed to portray Bruce Wayne aka Batman.

Some films have been a flop, like Daredevil, and its spin-off, Elektra. Somehow I just can't imagine Ben Affleck playing an action hero. He should stick to his wimp-like roles in romantic dramas and such. Though I did enjoy watching Colin Farrell playing the thug called Bullseye. That part suited him to the tee.

So why am I rambling on about something that I truly know very little about? I dont know, I guess I am bored. Heros have meant little to me as I don't consider anyone to be my hero. These characters are purely fictional, no doubt, but wouldn't it be nice to have a real life Batman in our midst? Or a Superman? Who is your favourite action hero? And if you were to become one, what would be your pseudonym? What powers would you love to have? I think I'd like to be called Super-Domesticator and turn men into domesticated beings. Ha ha. I can only dream.

No comments: