Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Tale Of Two Cities: The Mother City and George

Yesterday I talked about the prank on JNF that some of us fell for and I touched on a bit about a prank I pulled last year on my trip to Cape Town. This is the sad (and hilarious) tale of what happened there.

January 2006: it was my first visit to Cape Town ever and I was finally going to meet Phatfoo and the rest of the Cape Town JNF'ers. I was so excited and had been looking forward to this for a long time. I won a return ticket from British Airways at Winex the previous year so I used this to go to the Mother City. On my way there, Marbro, the joker was trying to coax Foo into not fetching me at the airport, just to piss me off, and perhaps worry me a bit. Of course, Foo is a sweet guy and was waiting for me at the airport, on time.

He told me about Marbro's devious plan and told me that we should turn this prank around. It was bound to be foolproof/Marbro-proof. I sms'd him frantically, that I was stranded in George as the plane had engine failure or something and was forced to do an emergency landing at their airport. I told him to phone me immediately cause I couldnt get hold of Foo. He phoned me and I put on the best act ever. I wasnt sure when I would get a flight Cape Town as no one could tell me anything for certain.

And the plot thickened. A few hours later, I sms'd him back (by this time I had roped in MurderDoll as well, whom I was dating at the time. He fell for it too) and said that I had misplaced my purse in the ladies' toilets and some guy kept on following me around. I pretended to be in tears, almost hysterical. Sms's went back and forth.

In the meantime I was actually in Cape Town with Foo. We were laughing and enjoying the sunshine. We had forgotten to inform the rest of the JNF'ers that I had actually arrived safe and sound (by now, my "drama in George" was all over JNF) and Soul had phoned to find out what was happening. Of course, we told him the truth and brought him over to our Dark Side, as a Dark Lord belongs with us.

That evening I had a very short conversation with MurderDoll (mostly cause I couldnt control my giggles for too long) pretending to be still stuck in George. I told him that Foo was gonna drive down to George and pick me up, late in the evening. I was instructed to sms him as soon as I was in CT and then I ended the call, citing a low battery. Then I went back to eating the yummy waffles at Wes and Celeste's place. Haha.

I couldnt hold on for much longer. My performances were definitely Oscar material but I could tell that the boys were really really worried by now so Jeremy let the cat out of the bag the next day on JNF. Thats when the hate mail, or rather, sms's, began. MurderDoll was so cross with me that he refused to speak to me. Princess was miff that he had fallen for it. I spent the rest of my week in Cape Town wondering what payback awaited me back in JHB.

Well, it looks like karma really is a bitch. I left on a Sunday afternoon, tired and weary and not really looking forward to the flight as I hate flying. Halfway to JHB, the pilot makes an announcement. Now, I am a nervours flyer as it is and what he said next almost made me kak myself. One of the engines had failed (deja-vu?) and because of a severe storm in JHB there was no way we'd make it there so he was going to turn the plane around and fly back to JHB. Mother-trucker! I couldnt believe it! My nerves were shot and I was itching for some vodka to calm down but I figured that it was best to remain sober for this.

In the end it wasnt so serious I suppose, but the fact that we had to go back to CT was a bummer! I phoned Jeremy and it took me a while to convince him that I wasnt joking again. After waiting for hours, they got another plane ready for us and gave each passenger a free domestic one way ticket (which I subsequently lost). This time we made it, in one piece, and we all cheered and clapped when we touched down at JHB International.

It was almost midnight and when I saw my brothers they were laughing uncontrollably and I could bet Marbro was doing the same. They told me that a letter from MurderDoll awaited me at home. Oh dear.

So I finally got home. I went up to the room and saw the letter there. It was quite a thick envelope and I remember thinking to myself "geez, I didnt even know Greg could write so much!" I opened it. There were 6 pages in total (or 3, cant remember), and this is what it said, over and over again:

BURN!
So this is why I dont do pranks anymore...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha man that was brilliant!
Wish I could think up stuff like that!