Thursday, February 08, 2007

I am getting a new boss

For a while now I have had suspicions, strong suspicions, that me and the other business analyst were getting a new boss. This all came about soon after we heard we were moving to Sandton. And my suspicions are about to be confirmed when we meet with this person this afternoon to discuss the way forward. How do I know this for sure? I have my sources, very reliable sources.

Now, normally I don’t care who I report to. Usually I am left to my own devices and management culture around here is rather laid back. No dictators here. And as much as my current boss’s sexual innuendos drive me up the wall sometimes, I am slightly nervous about my new impending reporting line. You see, my new boss is female.

My past experiences with female bosses have being far from friendly. I just don’t get on well with women who have authority over me. I don’t know what is it about women that, as soon as they come to power, they become the wicked witch from the east, with permanent pms.

The first job I had, in the three painful years that I worked there, I went through 4 managers. All female, all bitchy. It was the last one that drove me to quit, even though I had nowhere to go. She was a big, anal Lebanese women, who came straight from hell. She made my life miserable. I tolerated her for as long as I could then I walked out.

My second job I had the pleasure of working with male bosses, even though I worked in the ladies section of huge department store. I had so much fun there that I was sad to leave it once I had found a more permanent, more serious job at FNB. Again, I had male bosses for about a year or so until everything changed and I again had a female authoritarian.

She was worse than Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin put together. She controlled my every move, even to the point of following me around when I popped in for a chat with a friend at another department. She would call me and take me back to my desk. I couldn’t work under those conditions. I like my freedom and I don’t like to be treated as if I am still in school. Its not that I am lazy and don’t work, cause I do. I just prefer to work at my own pace and be left alone! Eventually I became so desperate that I begged our CEO for another position at the bank. After several mergers and changes, my wishes were granted and I got the position I currently hold.

And now I am back to square one. I have met the woman and she seems alright, but don’t forget what I said earlier: women change as soon as they have authority over you. Let’s see what happens this afternoon…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm a new boss.