Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Dealing with addictions

I am not talking of the serious kind, like sex, drugs and alcohol (I will save it for another time when I am feeling less insane). Rather, I mean the kind of addictions that keep me distracted from my work! I am talking about chat rooms, forums, myspace, facebook, skype, msn, mxit, dammit, the list just goes on and on! Its become so bad that I have even neglected this blog of mine for weeks. Its not on!

What happens now is that as soon as I sit my ass in front of the computer at work, I immediately log on to UJfm chat room and slowly progress onto the rest of my addictive sites. Before I realise it, its almost lunchtime and I start to panic and wonder how the hell I am going to get my reports done before the end of the day. I count to ten, eat my lunch, and carry on chatting!

Sometimes I do snap out of it and manage to squeeze in an hour's work, but most of the time I put it off until the next day and the next, until I eventually have a near-fatal heart failure and set a whole day aside and work furiously trying to meet deadlines. I just dont know how much longer I can keep this up. The upside of all this is that during the past few months I have made so many new friendships over the net and even met several of these cool people.

I have come to realise that this addicition is hiding an underlying problem in my life - I am bored and unsatisfied with my job. Its time to make a change. I have thought about it, and even though its definitely not going to happen overnight, I have something in the pipeline. It will take at least 5 years, but Im going to make it happen, if its the last thing I do.

In the meantime, you can catch me in a chat room near you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caz, I know the feeling... I just set my work aside which is not very clever in my line of work.

But yeah the cool people I have met are awesome, I even met you over the net!

now excuse me... uj chat is awaiting my clever comments