Monday, June 18, 2007

Sleep deprivation and caffeine overdoses

I have spent the last five hours or so trying very very hard not to fall asleep on my desk. All my troubles and caffeine overdoses went down the drain when I decided to catch up on my reading the economics articles. With one hand holding my heavy head up, as I looked down to read all these technical jargon, the words became more jumbled than alphabet soup and slowly my eyes closed as I dozed off. I should have read the cosmo.

Coke seems to help but Im really struggling today. Im sleep deprived! Last weekend I got a few hours of shut-eye and didnt get a chance to catch up much during the week. This weekend was even worse. After Friday night's road trip, I had to get up early in the morning for our church's Spring Festival / Beerfest meeting. At least that is going well and I was commended on my good organising skills. After Ferdi and I came back from that meeting, I was miff to find out that Weasel was still sleeping! Not fair!

I was hoping to take a nap but the day just got busier and busier. The newly recovered Shawn invited us over for a braai since this was his official birthday and his parents werent home. So off we went and celebrated some more. Ingrid and I spent the whole night doing, well, nothing! We suckered the boys (Ferdi mostly. Apparently we are now top of the "Pile-on List" lol) into doing everything for us: cooking, cleaning up, pouring drinks for us. We even got Ferdi to pour us tequila while they were playing poker and we were just lying on the couch watching Mtv. Lol. A few more chores and Ferdi will be able to received his Domestication Certificate!

In the end I was so tired (from calling Ferdi every five minutes, haha) that I dozed off on the couch. But it wasnt much of a rest as I was still semi-conscious and was awaken every few minutes or so. I got to bed late that night again, and once more, had to get up early on Sunday morning for our special Youth Service at church. Our youth meeting that afternoon was an hour earlier than usual so I had little time after the service to really do anything besides eat and watch a bit of TV. I hurt both arms again playing volleyball. The cold weather makes it a hell of a lot worse. And Im not too sure about our volleyball team this year - will we win like we did last year? I hope to at least make the finals!

As I sat last night in my room watching a movie, I could feel my eyes battling it out to stay open and thus try to concentrate on the movie. I made it, but just barely. The fact that I now wake up at 5am every morning just to get to work in 15 minutes instead of 40, is not going to help my situation much. But I suppose its nothing I cant handle. Sleep deprivation has never killed anyone, right?

*runs off to get more coffee*

No comments: