Thursday, June 28, 2007

What's the point of toe socks?


I just dont get them. Besides providing entertainment value by watching your toes wiggle in an assortment of colours, they offer little else, in my opinion. Last week we each got a pair of toe socks at work, as a gift for the winter solstice. I got a green and white pair, but since I am a fan of purple, I managed to swap someone else's, before they arrived at work - one of the few perks of being the first one in the office every morning.
So anyway, toe socks are a novelty that I would never think of buying for myself. There is something about them that is just creepy. But since I got them as a freebie, I thought I'd give them a try. First of all, just like I struggle to get my fingers in gloves, I struggled three times as much to get my toes into the tiny spaces offered for each. I held in my breath, and squeezed with everything I had. Once in, I thought all the blood was rushing away from my toes. The sewing on each toe was so tight, that I could barely wiggle each one.
I was in great discomfort for almost an hour (I hate to give up, even on such trivial tasks) until the socks finally stretched and allowed my toes some wiggle room. But not much. As for keeping me warm, they do a very bad job at it. I slept with them on the whole night and woke up the next morning with very sore, very pale toes.

I think I will stick with my thick wooly socks from now on. At least my toes can wiggle freely in those.

No comments: