Wednesday, September 20, 2006

We came second

What a night we had! I must say that I was very impressed with the way the function was organised last night. It was very professionally done and we all felt like we were in an actual TV show (I think the cameras had a lot to do with that, haha). That Nimrod dude from the Lotto was our host, and he was damn good at it. In between rounds we had some Kwaito dude called Kabelo to entertain the audience. Um ja.

So my team, conveniently called the "S & M Groupies", donned their gold wigs and intelligent spectacles to battle it out with the other five teams. I painted a banner for our supporters, as well as several flags. Shame, poor Weasel was very worried that I might not have realised what S&M stands for. I reassured him that I did, AND that it also stands for Sales and Marketing, so yes, it's a clever pun on my part, thank you very much.

It was a close but tough competition, and it had to be, considering the first prize. The first two rounds were the most nerve-wrecking since they were individual questions. Once that was done we kind of got the hang of it. After the third round we were in the lead and almost had it in the bag when we stuffed up in the last round as we got two questions wrong and thus lost 6 crucial points. There was tension in the air when the final winner was announced. At least one of my dear old friends and her team ended up taking first place, AND we beat our arch-rivals, the Structured Trade team (who were so confident and cocky that they didn't bother to study much).

I was satisfied with second place, like my boss said, sometimes it's better to come second. Geez, we are full of puns here. I blushed and took a large swig of the champagne we got to celebrate. Incidentally, I ended up drinking the whole bottle. Hell, I needed it to calm my nerves. It was finally over! No more studying. As a consolation prize, the rest of the finalists each got a Nano I-Pod, 4GB. Not a shabby prize, if you ask me!!

So we partied, celebrated and managed to rope my bosses into giving my team an expensive celebration lunch next week, on condition that they attend as well. Since I was already quite tipsy, and gained a bit more confidence as a consequence, I also got the courage to moan at one of my bosses for arriving late at the function, drunk (he had been drinking since lunch) and for been half asleep during the function! Luckily I still have a job today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Cazzy 2nd place is good, heck I would be so proud of myself if that was me.
an Ipod is a great prize.

CaZ said...

Thanks Berny! Considering that there were approx 600 participants to begin with, I am VERY PROUD to have come second!!

Anonymous said...

Damn, thats good. Ooooooooo, Ipod, very nice. Thats cool though, proud of you. Now how about sharing that prize, haha!!!

CaZ said...

Thank you thank you
And nooooo, I am not sharing!!! HAHAHHA