Monday, September 04, 2006

The bierfest aftermath

I don’t want to speak too soon but I think that this year’s Spring Festival aka the Beerfest was a huge success. We had the best turnout in ages, and we owe it all to good word-of-mouth advertising. I really hope that it shows in the profits.

How I managed not to pass out drunk in the end is a big mystery to me. I started drinking at 10 in the morning since the privileged few like me who got to work in the beer tent, got to test the first few draughts. And once you start, it’s very hard to stop. I ate very little. I was quite the busy bee and social butterfly all at once but still got to sample 2 delicious brockwursts. By the time I realized how little I had eaten and how hungry I was, most of the food had been sold. I missed out on some good cakes, potato pancakes, more sausages, schnitzel and who knows what else. I didn’t even have a go at the tombola, even though this year there were some really good prizes to be won.

But nonetheless, I still had my share of the fun. I was glad to see so many of my friends there, including my jnf buddies, Jeremy and Zara, who came to JHB from Cape Town for the weekend. They were only there for about an hour, but it was really great to see them again. Even a friend from work popped in for a bit.

The highlight of the day was been able to air the tri-nations match live in the beer tent, something that we haven’t been able to achieve before. That attracted a huge crowd, a very thirsty crowd. And the Boks made it all the better by actually beating the All Blacks, narrowly, but it was still a win and more reason to celebrate. So we drank and drank and drank. And we laughed, hugged (cringe), talked kak and had a really good time. I was even glad to see that my knight in shining armour, who fondled my ass on that fateful night when I fell out of that damn tree so he could push me up, came to join us in the celebrations. He said he enjoyed that “moment” so I had to admit that I enjoyed it too. Lol.

I made it home in one piece and only managed to lose my house keys. I am still looking for them. I went to bed straight away and slept right through until lunchtime the next day, so I missed church for the first time in months. It was more from exhaustion than from being babelaas. I just needed that rest. So at the end of the day, it was a really good successful beerfest. Can’t wait for next year’s!!

Oh, and I just heard that one of the guys passed out in the cemetery that night. Ha ha ha. I wonder who that was!! At least it wasn’t me!!!

3 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

passed out in the cemetry?what if an old lady found him..Could have been quite funny.

I thought it was a blast.But ja.im just a man.that left early....

Anonymous said...

wow it was awesome!
Thanks for telling me about it, I cant wait till next year but I will make sure to leave my sis at home!hahahaha

CaZ said...

That old lady would have been next to be buried in the cemetery!!!

Yeah, it was awesome. Dont stress about leaving early, you had a long drive home! And Berny, your sis is cool. It happens to the best of us!!!