Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Working in downtown Johannesburg

I have been working in the middle of town for the past five years now for one of the top South African banks and I must say that it has been a helluva ride so far. Over the years I have become quite street-smart, know when it’s safe to go out venturing in the streets, which places to avoid etc. And there is always some sort of commotion going on here. For example, when some union decides to go on strike, they parade, or “toi-toi” just 2 blocks from the building in which I work. So if you look out the window, you can see them dancing and singing (if the crowd is plus 50), even from the fifth floor where I sit now. Lately, there is a strike going on just about every week. Some have been quite violent – last month one of our security guards got shot because he refused to take part in the strike. And it’s a nightmare to get out of the city in the afternoon because they affect traffic so much. Makes me think that I need to relocate to a “safer” place.

My youngest brother has been mugged twice here, in one month, while he was still in school. I have also seen several smash-and-grabs. It’s amazing how these guys suddenly appear out of nowhere, smash your window in one quick second or two, take whatever is on the your front seat and then run like hell. I have never seen one of these guys get caught. They are just too fast.

Now, in light of the Jacob Zuma trial, this place is quite a riot. For the past month we have had to endure his supporters, protesters and heavy traffic. Since the court is just two blocks away from me, I get to see most of the action, live. But it’s definitely no picnic.

As I am writing this, I can hear the crowds of people singing and dancing on the streets. Yes, Zuma has just been declared innocent of rape charges. While the verdict is not surprising to most of us, we certainly hoped he’d be found guilty – something is just not right with this man. In fact, he should be jailed just for being stupid by stating that he took a shower to minimise his chances of contracting HIV! What a dumb remark! After all the work that AIDS activists have done to educate people about safe-sex, he reverses everything with this simple statement. And the fact that he knew his accuser was HIV positive AND had sex with her without a condom is preposterous! A man in his stature should know about the dangers of having unprotected sex, albeit with an HIV-positive woman!!!! What message does this send across the crowds out there? But never mind – they still support him, no matter what.

Yes, I have strayed a bit off topic here but I needed to vent a bit. The crowds are still going nuts so now I am wondering when it is safe to go home. Several cars went past, with people hanging onto them. It’s definitely not a good sight. But at least this madness will be over for a while – until his next court case that is. Bugger, I need to find a new job.

Oh, but I have just heard that the next trial will be in Pietermaritzburg. Thank goodness. The circus has left town!!

(I actually wrote most of this yesterday, but could only manage to post it today).

No comments: