Thursday, May 18, 2006

Get ready for the World Cup baby!!

The 2006 Soccer World Cup is about to start in just over 3 weeks in Germany and I am starting to feel the excitement. I really can’t wait till it begins. When I was in school I was soccer mad as any typical Argentinean would be, it’s in our blood. I had big dreams of becoming a soccer player and would indulge in a game or two every Sunday with family and friends. I’d also try and watch every game possible on TV, buy soccer magazines and keep up to date will all the ins and outs in the world of soccer. Somehow, over the years, my enthusiasm for soccer waned and I became interested in other things which took priority in my life. I don’t know how that happened because soccer was my life. I breathed, ate and slept soccer, there was nothing else for me.

Last night some of that passion was revived when I watched Barcelona kick Arsenal’s butt in the Champions League Final. Normally I don’t support either team but last night I really did not want Arsenal to win so I supported Barcelona. I sat at a KEG pub, supposedly celebrating a friend’s birthday but I instead became glued to that TV set, on the edge of my seat. I groaned and moaned for the first half as Arsenal took the lead. I couldn’t bear to watch as the clock ticked and Barca failed to score on several attempts. But they eventually came back and beat Arsenal 2-1. I jumped up with joy and celebrated. Yes, it wasn’t really my team that won here but it was good to get that feeling of triumph back and the love of the game. Now, I am really ready for the World Cup. My brother Ferdi will be proud. Or he will just mock and say, “Ja, soccer wannabe fan” or something along those lines. Oh, well, I don’t really care what he thinks anyway.

Most of the games seem to be early in the evening so at least I will be able to catch most of the games live on TV. I am really hoping that this time round Argentina will do us proud. They are one of the favourites to win and have been placed 10/1 on the betting list – not bad at all. I am ashamed to say though, that I only know a bunch of the players on the national side. So it’s time I do a bit of research and get to know the team that will lead Argentina to glory a bit better!

Though, in hindsight, should Argentina not make it to the final, I will support my second team, which is Germany (since my grandparents all come from Germany). They have a very good chance of winning as they are the hosts. May the best team win.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Brazil all the way baby!!!!!

Although i also like supporting underdog teams, so this year it's Japan. I just loved the way they did so well last world cup on thier homeground.

Anonymous said...

Go Bafana!

Hey?

I'm more interested in 2010, what, with all the Greenpoint Stadium nonsense. I wonder if Helen Zille is going to watch, this year.

CaZ said...

Yeah, it would be nice for someone other than Brazil to win though - they take the fun out of it if they win all the time.

CaZ said...

Jeremy, I cant wait for 2010 either, that's if I make it! Zille better take notes.