Thursday, May 04, 2006

Hello there, earthlings

Yes, I am following in the footsteps of some of my fellow friends and starting a blog. Call me a sheep, call me stupid, hell, call me anything for all I care, I am basically writing this for my own amusement. I have always loved writing and to this day I regret not following my dream of becoming a writer. Well, I am still young (contrary to what some of my “younger” friends believe) and anything is possible, I can still achieve my dream.

As children we all have these big, and sometimes impossible dreams of becoming, for example, a doctor, a movie/rock star, rocket scientist, an astronaut, you name it. As we get older we become a bit more realistic and settle for a somewhat mediocre office job or something to that extent. At least, most of us do, the lucky ones get to become that movie/rock star. And parents can most certainly get in our way of following our dreams too. Does this sound familiar? “My little Timmy is going to become a doctor when he grows up”. Never mind that little Timmy would rather be an interior designer, because that is what he loves to do. But no, his parents want him to study 20 years of medicine instead.

When I was a child I had several dreams. The first one, much to my aunt’s amusement (and much to my horror, when she told me this tale 15 years later) was to become a maid. Yes, a maid. One afternoon, when I was 4, my aunt and I were playing with my dolls and having a tea party when out of the blue I announced that I wanted to be a maid when I grew up. Thank goodness I soon faced reality and realized that being a maid was in no way a glamorous job (unless of course, it involves a French maid’s outfit – but that is another story).

So eventually I moved to other wild ideas: a singer, a pianist, a soccer player, an actress, journalist and writer. I became very close to becoming a journalist. As I love watching soccer, rugby and cricket, I wanted to become a sports journalist and planned to study journalism in Argentina. Somehow, that didn’t happen. So my second choice was to study Sports Management here in South Africa. I enrolled at the Rand Afrikaans University and planned to study a 3-year course on Sports Management with a possible deviation into Journalism once I got enough credits. For some stupid, dumb reason, exactly 5 minutes before registering, I changed my mind and opted to do a degree in Economics. I don’t know what possessed me, maybe it was my parents, maybe it was uncertainty. Who knows? All I know is that now I am stuck with an Honours Degree in Economics and not sure what the hell to do with it. I don’t even like Economics! It is so boring that I use my textbooks when to cure my insomnia!

So yeah, I could go on and on about this but I don’t want to bore you. Plus I have to go back to my mediocre office job. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

The Real Marbro said...

Eventually!Took you bladdy ages to get one going.


now to keep updating it.