Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Dreams of Paradise

Since the horrible cold winter days have been a constant pain in my neck (actually throat, but close enough), I have been thinking a lot about migrating to the north for a while and get some sun. I am tired of looking like a corpse. I want to look and feel healthy again. An island seems like the perfect getaway.

Ever dream of being shipwrecked or lost on a deserted island? I am not talking about the never-ending nightmare as that experienced by those poor people in the series “Lost”, that is just too much to bear. I mean the type where you can escape from it all, the hustle and bustle of the mad city life to paradise, where just your basic needs are taken care of. Wouldn’t you just love to get away from it all, even if just for a day? Just picture it: no phones, noise, TV, annoying people, traffic. NO WORK!…aah, perfect.

My perfect island would have sunny days, warm nights, bountiful fruit, clear water fountains and whirlpools, decent shelter and a Greek God to keep me company. I don’t ask for much, hey? But seeing as, in this day and age, we are surrounded by luxuries that we practically take for granted, what essential item would you take with you to this island, if you had the choice? Just one item.

That choice seems rather difficult to me. I love the comfort of my own bed and the convenience of a bathroom – but those kinds of things would be a bit difficult to take with me, don’t you think? So what would I take with me? A book – nah, I have the Greek God to entertain me. My TV? I’d definitely miss watching Prison Break but after a while I’d get over it.
As I sit here, coughing and typing this, I am having a hard time deciding what I would take with me, if given the choice. There are just too many choices! But if push comes to shove, I’d go for coke, and lots of it. Not a day goes by where I don’t have a can of coke. It’s amazing how something so sweet and syrupy can make so many people, including me, addicted to it. It must be the caffeine.

Ok, better wake up now and get back to work. Actually, I am off to the vending machine to get me a can of coke!

No comments: