Friday, May 19, 2006

Ag, please daddy wont you take us to the drive-in!

No, don't worry, I have NEVER asked my Dad to take us to the drive-in. I don't think he even knows where it is and frankly, I don't think I'd ever want him to! When I tell people that I am going to the drive-in they immediately think “Ooooo, kinky, bet you are not really going to watch the movie, right?” Um, not quite! Sure, my first few visits to the drive-in did involve me and one of my ex-boyfriends. We never made it past the trailers. Enough said.

These days, I go with a whole bunch of people, which includes my brothers, my pastor’s kids: Renate, Ulrike, Ingrid and Basti and a whole bunch of other friends. The more the merrier. And I have to say, that it is so much better than sitting inside a cramped cinema. We usually gather our camping chairs, blankets, tons of food and booze (which you can’t bring into a cinema) and camp outside. Not only that, but we get to watch two movies and only pay R48 per car – so you can do like a taxi and squeeze 30 people inside. That’s value for money.

And we have our share of fun. You can chirp, laugh, cry, scream as much as you want and show off your cool sound system in your car in between the two movies. It becomes a battle of the ravers vs the rockers. Ha ha.

We have come to love the drive-in so much that we even risk freezing weather and rain. Nothing stops us. I once even went just hours after been discharged from the hospital due to an illness.

Recently, one of our coolest friends from Port Elizabeth, Matt (aka vomitboy) came to visit for the first time in JHB. I think the drive-in alone was reason enough to convince him to eventually move here. He still talks about our local spot. He really enjoyed it. Hey, any place that allows you to bring your own booze is bound to be a jol!

So tonight, even though it’s expected to be one of the most bitterly cold weekends of the year, we are all going to the drive-in to see “The Da Vinci Code”. I have been waiting to see this film ever since I heard that they were making a film of the book. I cannot wait to see it and hope it does the book justice. I think I better take some brandy to keep me warm…


(As a side note, I got this link to an ideal job predictor today. Mine said my ideal job should be another Satan. How appropriate!)

2 comments:

The Real Marbro said...

Vodka slushpuppies....Nuff said

CaZ said...

Which I never got. Hmph.