Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Gold Reef City

On Saturday morning I was rushed out of the house at the last minute to accompany my aunt W, uncle R and my aunt C that's visiting from Argentina to Gold Reef City. OK, I rushed by choice, cause I really wanted to go. After Friday night's hectic drinking, I had just gotten up and had a quick shower when I was told that they were leaving. But I made it! Who said girls cant get ready quickly, huh?


The last time I was there was around 2002. Cant believe time had gone so fast. The first shock that I got was how much the entrance fee had gone up! It put a huge dent on my purse, but oh well, at least I got to spend some quality time with aunt C. My two aunts first went down to the mine shaft for the tour. I refused to pay extra to go down so I waited outside with my uncle and browsed around the curio shops. Everything was so damn expensive. I guess its all better suited for tourists.
When they came out we went on the ferris wheel. Now I have a huge fear of heights so going up on the ferris wheel was a huge task for me - but sometimes I like to face my fears head on (though I will never ever, face up to a c-c-c-c-lown). I did alright, I think, though I hate the part when we stop right at the top for a while and the wind rocks the cage back and forth. It was soooo cold. I managed to be brave and take a few pics too:


We went on a few boring rides after that, even the Thunder Train was boring. I really wanted to go on the Anaconda (kind of ironic for someone who is afraid of heights, but I love the adrenaline rush of it, and the ride is quick). The last time I was there I went on it and had a picture taken. The expression on my face was priceless. But this time the queue was too long. Aunt C even wanted to go with me. It was a pity. All I could do was watch the lucky buggers that had the patience to queue for so long (for the train we queued for over 40 mins, ridiculous).

The afternoon went by too quickly. Having to queue all over the place really shortened our activities so I felt that I didnt get my money's worth. In the end we settled down at Mugg & Bean for a late lunch. I was buggered, but had a bit of fun. Dont think I will be going back there anytime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love going there, its such a fun place.
But I agree its waaaaay too expensive.

Unknown said...

The last time I went there was in 1997. It is a wonderful place. But I don't remember the expensive part.