Friday, April 20, 2007

Another international band disappoints

As much as I tried to ignore the snide comments from some people predicting that Guns n Roses were most probably going to cancel the Coke Fest at the last minute, at the back of my mind I knew that this was going to happen. And now the prophecy has come true. Surprise surprise! Another American band disappoints. I will add them to the list of bands that I had purchased tickets for and then decided to cancel: Limp Bizkit (you are dead to me) and Nickelback (I cant even believe I bothered, I dont even like your music). Guns n Roses, my favourite childhood band, I cant believe you have disappointed me too.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, I mean, the reason they are not coming is that the bassist, Tommy Stinson, allegedly sprained his wrist. Ok, maybe not allegedly, but this still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Surely they can replace the bassist for these shows? Or am I wrong.
Ever since I heard that GnR was coming to South Africa, I was like a kid at Christmas, jumping up and down with excitement until I got those tickets in my hand. Since they were one of my favourite bands (and since I had a huge crush on Axl Rose when I was younger, ssshhhhh dont tell anyone), I maxed out my credit card by insisting on getting the best tickets available for my brother and me, in the golden circle. They were the only reason I was really going to the Coke Fest. Otherwise I wouldnt have really bothered. Sure, they are not THE Guns n Roses I knew then, Axl is the only original member. But Axl IS Guns n Roses (despite the blatant absence of legend Slash).



When dear Berny broke the news this morning, I was praying that she was playing a nasty belated April Fools joke on me. But it wasnt to be, the 5fm website confirmed their withdrawal from the concert. I then debated whether to get a refund on my tickets or still go to the event. Then, I thought, what the hell, Axl, or no Axl, I am going to go to this Coke Fest and make it worth my while. There are still some good bands playing, like Staind, and the Nudies. So be it then.
As for Axl, well, Im reluctant to write him off completely like I did with Limp Bizkit. But Im damn close to doing so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will have a blast anyway!

CaZ said...

Yes, we will! 4 more sleeps!!