Monday, March 19, 2007

St Paddy's Day at Paddys


Normally we don’t bother with this celebration, but since we love the Irish and their pub song national anthem, Ferdi, Basti, Shawn and I went to Paddys on Saturday for some Irish fun. Ferdi and I donned our green tshirts. I wanted one of those cool Guiness top hats but I was so damn broke I could barely afford my drinks. Yip, you guessed it – I couldn’t even afford to get drunk!!!

We sat outside, ready to watch the Sharks match when some fat chick brought three Irish dancers for our “entertainment”. Sure, they were very good, but we wanted to watch the rugby! So we watched, sans the commentary, but instead with some Irish jigs. After the girls were done dancing, the fat lady came back on to sing. Oh dear me.

She started off well with the Irish National Anthem. Man, I love that anthem! Its gotta be the best one ever! It’s a song that we always sing at our office’s weekend break-aways (aka piss ups). “Ireland! Ireland! Together standing tall. Shoulder to Shoulder. We answer Ireland’s call!” Then it all went downhill from there as she sang some random kak songs. So its true what they say: “its not over until the fat lady sings!

We tried to play some pool inside but most of the tables were taken. The one that was free, was missing the cue ball so we had to play without it. I let the boys play on their own and watched in boredom. That game was futile. They gave up after that one game and then we left.

I cant say that my St Paddys was celebrated in style, but maybe I should make a point of doing so next year! With a pint or twenty! And maybe with some luck of the Irish! (said with an Irish accent)

“Ireland! Irelaaaannndddd!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man I love the irish!

Next year we go big ok Caz, I'll start saving now, hehehe