Sunday, March 11, 2007

Failing Forward at Roxys

Halfway through this week, Berny got me into this convo on msn with Steelpanther (aka Clem) whom I hadn't spoken to on JNF in ages!!! Turns out he was coming to JHB this weekend with his band, Failing Forward...

So after many searches on myspace (still waiting for the add Clem!!) we decided to go watch them at Roxys on Friday night. They played with Slashdogs (thanks for the add!) and Hellphones. Since of late Roxys has been quite expensive in terms of booze, I decided to start off early at home with my good ol SoCo. By the time we got to Roxys I was a very happy tipsy gal.

We couldn't find Clem, we still weren't sure what he looked like despite the photos on JNF. So I met up with Jean from Knave (you rock dude, btw) and he advised me that Clem was wearing very very tight (read toit, like in Goldmember) pants and a red shirt – cant miss him. We eventually found him, had a bit of a JNF reunion and posed for photos. Another JNF member I can tick off that I met…
Failing Forward then went on stage and they literally blew my socks off. For a band that comes from fruity Cape Town, man THEY ROCK!!!!! Haha, no offence to Capetonians, but seriously, these guys were awesome. And I must say that the turnout was much better than a few weeks ago when I last was there.

After their performance I got a bit more acquainted with the boys AND I scored a free CD – thanks so much Russel for organising and for getting all the boys to sign it! I really appreciate it! Im officially your JHB groupie! Ferdi then advised me that we were leaving as soon as the Slashdogs were done. Pity, but we have to listen to the drivers!

Having drunk our regular tequila and several Smirnoff Storms, Berny and I were extremely happy and tipsy, oh yeah!!!! Slashdogs soon came on and the moshpit went crazier than ever! What a sight. As usual, I remained in the sidelines and pushed back whoever came my way. I wish I had the guts to go into it fully but with my weak bones, I just don't know…Slashdogs were freaking brilliant. I must get their CD as soon as I have some bucks again. Posed for some photos with some of them too.

We left soon after, having said goodbye to Clem and Jean. All in all the night was awesome, I haven't had this much fun in ages. Now I better go to sleep soon before I fall asleep on my keyboard!!

And no, Berny, its not Falling Forward, its FAILING forward. Falling forward is what we do after too many tequilas!! Hahaha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yip yip I get it now, FAILING FORWARD, I was even wearing a shirt that had FAILING written on but yeah, give me a drink or two and I suck at english!

Unknown said...

Hello Carolina,

Long time no see or hear. I don't know if you might remember me ... my name is Sheila Thomas. We used to be friends at Jeppe Prep and at Jeppe Girls until I moved to Portugal in 1993, and then I last touch with everyone, unfortunately.

You look good old friend and life seems to be just whicked!

Keep well,
Sheila

CaZ said...

Hey Sheila!! Of course I remember you!!! Hope you are doing well!!!

So good to hear from you! Keep in touch!