Friday, June 09, 2006

Last weekend

Even though I was in unbearable pain, spitting blood and could hardly talk and eat properly, I couldn’t bear the thought of staying home indoors while my friends were out having fun. I WAS planning on taking it easy but Saturday morning that all changed as temptation was just too hard to ignore. Ingrid’s boyfriend, Rudi, phoned me in the morning to ask for directions to the Ellis Park Stadium as he was going to watch the rugby (SA vs World XV). He then invited Ulrike and me to go watch the rugby at his place as a whole bunch of people was going to be there, including Ingrid. He’d meet up with us later.

It seemed harmless enough so I phoned Uli and made the arrangements to go there. She picked me up that afternoon and I made my best efforts to cover up my pain just so that she wouldn’t advise me against going. We bought some supplies, including wine, cigarettes, chips and custard for me. I promised to drink only one glass of wine (but that just never happened).

When we got there the game was well under way, in fact, there were 10 minutes to go till half time. Oh, well. In any case, it wasn’t the most exciting match so we didn’t miss much. After the game the boys started a fire outside to warm us up while we talked the usual kak. It was nice, I must say, very laid back. I got to know several new people, laugh a bit etc. I did not just have one glass of wine but at least I kept it under control. I was even given some “mampoer” (which had 42% alcohol) after I was told by one of the guys that it was a very strong painkiller. Ha ha, thank you Andre, but it didn’t work for long.

After a lot of coercing, I managed to convince the girls that it was time to go home. After all the recent shenanigans that occurred at the guys’ home we needed to prove to them that we were responsible and could go home when it was time to do so, even though the guys were so drunk they insisted we stay. But I was adamant that we go home and sleep in our own beds. I could not afford to sleep on the floor in my condition.

Next day I went to church, had lunch at home and attended our youth meeting in the afternoon. Most of the guys were a tad hung-over so it was fun watching them suffer, ha ha. I was suffering too, but that was to be expected. I did all the things I shouldn’t have: play volleyball, and then sing – that was the hardest part. We are practicing several songs for our youth weekend coming up at the end of the month. My voice took a lot of strain but I couldn’t just sit there and mouth the words. I love singing.

So I paid the price the next few days for insisting on doing all this. But I don’t really regret it. You only live once, right?
I am slightly better now and to kick off the World Cup in Germany, I am going back to the guys place tonight to celebrate. I am gonna be surrounded by Germans!!!

1 comment:

The Real Marbro said...

not you aswell.I hate the world cup,ITS KAK.

glad youre posting more...keep it up.make it more interesting though,add nude pics or something...come on cazz!