Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I am back

It really sucks to be back at work. Especially since I got so used to my routine of well, basically doing nothing to stimulate my brain. Getting up this morning at 5:30, when it was still pitch black, was definitely hard to do. I’d kill to be at home right now, parked in front of the TV watching some dumb movie. But eventually we all have to go back to the real world and earn a living. But at least I am almost pain-free and back to normal. I can actually have tomatoes tonight!! Whooooppeeeee!!!!!

So, this morning, I get to work, open my inbox and wait till over 200 e-mails get downloaded. Reading through them (most of them crap) and answering some, practically took the whole morning. At least that is complete now. I also had to pay several outstanding bills until I realised that I suddenly have less drinking money for this weekend than I thought! The horror of it all! What will I do? Drink less perhaps? Nah, all it takes is some careful financial planning: I will just starve myself for the rest of the week. Ha ha. Thank god it’s pay day next week!

After lunch I decided to tackle the most difficult tasks of the day – writing an online test. As part of an “exciting” work initiative to test our skills, our “wonderful” senior management has come up with a competition that will run for the next 3 months or so, which will consists of about 4-5 rounds. We did round 1 today. The final prize for the people that win the final round is a R20 000 travel voucher plus spending money. Definitely a big incentive, you might say!

In order to prepare for this, we had to go through a manual thicker than my brother’s flabby arms, consisting of our products like foreign exchange, letters of credits, guarantees, exchange control etc, which spells boring, boring, boring. I tried to read through it, but all it managed to do was put me right to sleep. It makes me think that my study patterns have changed a lot since school. I was the typical nerd that would study days in advance, make notes/summaries and study everything backwards, forwards and inside out till the cows came home. In fact, I enjoyed studying! Eeeekkk!!!

Not this time though, and it turns out, that it wasn’t really necessary to swot for this test. It was an open book test, consisting of 50 questions and had an hour to complete. I managed to page through the file to find most of the answers, but funny enough, I knew most of the answers without having to really go through the file. I was so proud of myself! Even more proud when I got my score: 94%. Take that Weasel (my oldest brother), you are not the only one that gets A pluses in the family!!! Ha ha.

Ah, it’s good to be back. No wait, I said it sucked in the beginning…

…yeah, it still sucks.

No comments: