Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Jägermeister

Recently I have discovered, or rather, been seduced, by the strong sensational taste of Jägermeister. I blame it on the Germans. It has such an immediate effect on me, that after the first shot, I go and do crazy things like try to sing in German. True story.

Jägermeister means “master of the hunt” in German, that is, in the sense of being an expert or a committed hunter. It contains about 56 herbs, all of which are kept secret, as well as liquorice, which adds to its strong flavour. If you read many of the Jägermeister legends, you will probably know about certain urban legends that claim that it contains deer blood and opium. Sadly, neither is true. What a pity, I love blood.

When it was first produced, it was originally intended for medicinal purposes. It was said to cure just about everything, from a cough to digestive problems. Hey, if you ever need a reason to drink – then drink Jägermeister! It will heal you! In fact, many Germans still keep it in their households for these purposes. Guess what you are going to find in my medicine cabinet from now on! Ha! It’s during times like these that I am proud to say that I have German blood running through my veins.

The popular way to drink it these days is with Red Bull. That is the way my friends and I drink it – downed in one go. Now, before we do that, our custom is to say the poem that is found on the edge of the label of the bottle. It’s quite a tongue-twister and I am still practising it. If I sound so kak saying it when I am sober, imagine how bad it must be when I am drunk!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,
weidmännisch jagt, wie sich's gehört,
den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.


In English:

This is the hunter's badge of honor,
that he protect and nourish his game,
hunt sportingly, as is proper,
and honor the Creator in creation.

1 comment:

The Real Marbro said...

I love jager too

but it doesnt do anything for me..sloshed wise.drank alot of it on saturday night.good taste though

ill teach you another poem for when you decide to sing,and mms it to me