Thursday, May 10, 2007

An Unromantic dinner by candlelight

With my family. Nuff said.

When I got home yesterday I was dismayed to find out that we had no water or electricity at all. I started to panic as I realised just how much this would ruin my entire evening: I would not be able to shower, no warm food, no water to drink, no TV (hell no “War at Home” and no “My Name is Earl”!!!!). CRISIS!

As winter is almost among us, it got dark very quickly. There was nothing I could do in the pitch dark but lie on my couch and sulk, maybe chat a bit on the phone, at least some bit of technology that worked! Its amazing how much we rely on electricity and running water. Without it, we cease to function, due to pure laziness and custom. I cannot imagine what it was like to live on this planet 100 years ago!

So we put on some candles, my mother cooked some sausages on a gas heater and we ate in silence with the glow of some very weak and unromantic candles. The scene was actually kind of funny. I couldn’t help and laugh at the situation. Better than to cry.

I phoned Inki, my saviour and little sister I wish I had, to ask her to allow me to use her wonderful shower that I so badly craved. Of course, she obliged so Ferdi and I raced over there after supper. By then, of all wonderful miracles, the lights came on and one crisis was averted, we could still watch all our favourite shows, or rather, record them. Still no water.

At Inki’s, the shower felt like heaven and it was a huge relief. I hate going to bed dirty (unless of course, Im all partied out and too drunk too care, haha). We sat and chatted for a bit afterwards then I forced Ferdi to tear himself apart from Basti and take me home.

Back at home, the situation got even more ironic. Apparently, just after I had left, the water had come back on. Murphy’s law, innit?

I just don’t want to have to go through this again, eskom or whoever the hell was responsible better get their act together. Worry lines make me unattractive, lol.

No comments: