Monday, May 07, 2007

A Bavarian Feast

This Saturday we decided to support our sister church in Randburg who hosted a Bavarian-style dinner. And yes, there was booze. There is always booze at our churches, haha. Dress code was supposed to be lederhosen and diendels (spelling?), but since most of us wouldn’t be seen dead in those, we went in our regular jeans and jerseys. We are just too cool for that, lol.

As soon as we arrived with our folks, we were met by some crazy Germans dressed in their gear. I managed to sidetrack them and moved to our gang’s table – Uli, Inki, Renate and co were already there. We paid our entrance fee, which included the meal and a drink, and engaged in mindless conversation while the German dancers entertained us with some folk dancing. Some of these dances are hilarious and Im afraid to admit that I have partaken in some in the past, and actually enjoyed them!

I was glad to see Sonja arrive soon after. We were trying to figure out when was the last time we saw each other. She hadn’t even seen my new haircut yet. Neither of us wanted to admit that we last saw each other at my birthday party. That was in January!!!!

The food turned out to be nice – my favourite German dish: bockwurst with potato salad. We even managed to get seconds so I was quite satisfied. In less than an hour our table was filled with beer bottles. Not wanting to look like a drunk, most of us pushed the empty bottles closer to Basti, the youngest of us all.

After dinner we got a tad bored so Uli, Sonja and I sneaked outside for one of our cherry cigar escapades. We didn’t want our parents to see (look at us, we are all over 21 and we are still afraid of our parents!!!) so we hid in a dark spot behind the church, each armed with a beer bottle, and inhaled the sweet aromas of the cherry cigar. I apologise for the poor quality of the pics, but I was too scared to take my camera with so as not to look too suspicious. These cellphone pics will have to do, lol:


We had a nice girl chat then stood a while longer in the cold to get rid of the smell from our bodies. We didn’t even have time to go back in – our families were ready to leave. Looks like the evening wasn’t as fun as we expected it to be but at least it was nice to see some of my friends again. I went back home with my brothers, and since the night was still young, we watched “Green Street Hooligans” that we had recorded the previous night. Awesome movie.

So the evening wasn’t in the calibre of Edelweiss, but as long as there is good food and beer, who cares where it is!!

No comments: