Monday, May 14, 2007

Bierfest 2007 - best by far


I think this year’s German School Bierfest will go down as the best one we have had yet. We had some good laughs with good friends, with plenty of beer. We decided to get there early yesterday morning to we could get a good table and just park there for the rest of the day. We picked the Castle tent (even though I hate Castle) as it was near the stage and the biggest tent of all.

Ferdi, Weasel, Shawn and I met up with Ingrid, Rudi, Ulrike and Uwe over there and set up two tables under the hot sun. The garden umbrellas that were there did not provide us with enough shade so we moved the tables and benches inside the tent, and got a better view of the TV screens so we could watch the Super 14 semi-finals later.

The beer flowed and I happily snapped away with my camera. We soon learnt that it wasn’t safe to leave our belongings (especially my camera) with Ferdi when going on toilet breaks. I have now thousands of pictures of the fat bugger trying on all the girls jerseys. Needless to say, mine went straight to the laundry basket.


Soon we managed to collect several beer cups which kept our boys entertained while they built towers and pyramids on the table. Boys will be boys. Ferdi made more BFFs, by handing out necklaces to Ingrid (finally), Uwe, some of Ingrid’s friends, and other random girls that passed by. Somewhere in the tent, I spotted the new guitarist from Inersha, Colin, so I sent Ferdi to give him a new BFF as well. The poor guy didn’t have a clue as to what was potting. I was almost on the floor from laughing so much.





I was quite happy that there was a Jagermeister tent as well, so I indulged in a few shots plus a Jagerbomb, and kept the test tubes in which they came, haha. For the first round, Rudi accompanied me. On our way back, Mafikizolo was on stage, and we must have been very drunk cause I realised that they were singing one of their popular songs that always gets played at work functions, so Rudi and I joined the crowd and did the “Bart dance” with them. Hilarious, two whiteys trying to keep up with everyone.

Just when the first Super 14 game was about to start, and the most important, as most of us support the Sharks, the TV screens went dead. Apparently the generator had blown. So we decided to leave the Castle tent and see if the TV were working in the others. A few went ahead to check while the rest of us watched a bit of Evolver. But I just wasn’t in the mood to watch, I wanted to watch the rugby. Unfortunately, the other beer tents were packed with people as they all flocked there to watch the rugby.






While we pondered what to do next, Rudi decided to run down a slope instead of going down the stairs. The bugger fell and hurt his knee. He had a deep gash, blood running down his leg, so we dragged him to the emergency tent to get him cleaned up. While we waited, I bumped into Shadley, my “evil son” and his girlfriend and had long drunken chat with them. I was slurring big time, but I think I managed to hold a conversation, haha. By then Weasel looked green and passed out on a bench outside. Ferdi laughed at him and took pics – payback for all the times he let me and Ferdi have it for getting horribly drunk. And what’s even more funny was that Ferdi and I managed to hold our liquor.

Unfortunately Rudi had to be taken to the hospital for stitches so our fun at the beerfest quickly came to an end. Ingrid went with him in the ambulance and while Ferdi and Shawn took Weasel home, the rest of us went to have another Jagermeister and planned to meet together afterwards at the Dros for more drinks. Uli was nervous about having to drive Rudi’s car so I offered to go with her and pick Rudi and Ingrid up at Olivedale Clinic (to this day, that place still gives me the shivers). At the parking lot, his car alarm went off and we couldn’t figure out how to switch it off. The security guys came to check and Uli was more frantic than ever. I was forced to sober up rapidly and phoned Rudi for instructions. After all that was sorted, we got in the car and drove off into traffic madness. I managed to calm Uli down but I could see she was not happy.

After we picked them up, we met Ferdi and Shawn at the Dros but it was closed. Uwe and his friend were at another Dros in Northriding, so after much shouting and arguing, getting lost and me being way too calm and happy, we finally met at the right Dros, sat down and chilled. After recounting all our stories with more drinks, we all had a good laugh about the day’s dramatic events. What a night!

I had promised Berny a drunken phone call (damn, she had missed out) and provided her with lots of giggles while I hiccupped every 5 seconds. Eventually we were cut off when my battery died. I was feeling a bit peckish after all the beer so I begged everyone to go to McDonalds. And that’s where the evening finally ended. If this Bierfest was so much fun, I certainly cant wait for my church’s one in September! Hahaha.

Oh and look what Ferdi chased and caught. Lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!! Looked like it rocked, pity about the rugby and Rudi though!

Tink

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of drunks!!!!

lmao, man I wish I could have been there!