Saturday, May 05, 2007

Another freezing night at the drive-in

When my brothers wanted to leave an hour before the first movie at the drive-in started, I looked at them as if they were mad. Why so damn early? When we got there, I realised why. Since yesterday was the release date of Spiderman 3, all cinemas in town were packed, including our little old drive-in. Luckily, we still managed to get a spot, not the best, but good enough. Others were not so lucky. Those buggers that came in later, drove around in circles until they settled for a really bad spot, or gave up and drove back out.

We packed out our camping chairs, sleeping bags and chocolates, and waited patiently for the movie to start, with the sounds of In Flames blasting out of the car radio.

So how was the movie? Quite long actually; 140 minutes to be exact. What it lacked in an interesting story line, it sure made up in cg imaging. The visuals were amazing. At least the movie made me crack a few laughs with some cheesy wisecracks and Peter Parker’s transformation into a mean, carefree dude while looking like an emo-kid at the same time, and prancing around the streets as if in a Robbie Williams music video. Not to mention his Sally Field moment, when, watching the crowd sing praises at him, he exclaims, “The LOVE me!” Hahahaha.

When the movie ended, I was tired and would have loved to have gone home but we decided to stay for the next movie, “The Last Kiss” featuring one of my favourite funny men, Zach Braff of “Scrubs”. Turns out the movie wasn’t so much of a comedy but more of a drama as his character realises how bored he is with his planned future and almost loses all of it due to one night of stupidity. It had its funny moments, though Im still surprised my brothers stuck with the movie right till the end. Its definitely not their type of movie. But I enjoyed it. I love Zach Braff’s quirky tales of love and relationships.

Now hopefully I can still squeeze in a quick escape to the cinema this week to see “Hannibal Rising” – another of one of my must-see movies. Then my weekend is complete!

No comments: