Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cold turkey anyone?

My hands are literally shaking right now. I can barely type. The reason is simple, I have done the unthinkable. The unspeakable. The impossible. This morning, all of a sudden I got this inspiration to clean out my purse, and cut out several of my credit and store cards! For years, some of my self-appointed financial advisors have told me, in no uncertain terms, that the only way to get me out of this debt-rut, was to cut all those cards and throw them away! As if! How dare they!!???

But enough is enough. Im not exactly bankrupt or in any danger whatsoever (yet) but Im tired of having to say goodbye to 75% of my salary during payday and then struggling to make the last few extra bucks stretch until the next payday. Its just not on anymore. I have devised a step-by-step plan on slowly getting rid of most of my short-term debt and then moving on from there. So Im not exactly going cold turkey just yet, that would be suicide. Like Tink said to me earlier today, that might just lead to a huge rebound shopping spree. No kidding! Im terrible at impulse shopping! Thats one thing I really hate about being female. Ugh.

My worst temptation right now are CDs, DVDs, and books. I spend thousands each year on them. At least I read the books and listen to the CDs until I completely kill the songs. But the DVDs? Im lucky if I get to see even one of them! There is a huge box sitting in my lounge full of DVDs that are gathering dust and laughing at themselves because I havent even bothered to open the boxes. Just yesterday I received a new shipment from Kalahari, with 5 new DVDs including the yummy, delectable, 300 Spartan men clad in almost nothing. Hmmmm, now that is one DVD I have to watch again and again...

Ok...got distracted there. So, anyway, debt, yes, right, debt. Im getting rid of it. Next year I will be conducting major expenses like buying a new car, possibly move out of the house for once and for all, and maybe take those photography lessons I crave. So now is a good time as any to get rid of that horrible plastic in my purse. Whether I will stick to it and not reapply for new cards, remains to be seen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Caz, I know you can do it!

Anonymous said...

go cazzzzyyyyy!!!!!! you want my credit card in the meantime? hehe

Anonymous said...

Sorry, only read this now!

How has it been going? Better I hope. This is a really big step, and I'm really proud of you, babe!

Tink