Thursday, July 26, 2007

Friday the 13th Fest II and Crossing Point

After the UJfm hijacking saga, we went home and found that the rest of the family had already started eating pizza. So we dug in and considered our options as to where to go next. Martin was definitely going home (wuss) and Weasel was tired, so that just left Ferdi and me. Baaah.

He wanted to go to Bohemians to see Crossing Point but I convinced him instead to go to Tempos to see Aion Truth and co, for the Friday the 13th Fest II. I don’t know how I succeeded, but 30 minutes later, we were on the road again. It was damn cold and I wasn’t really in the mood to party, but I wanted to surprise Dylan, Amy and the rest by showing up unexpectedly, since they thought we weren’t going to make it.

I was surprised to see that the parking lot wasn’t too full. But I guess with the cold weather, it wasn’t too much of a shock. We were met with hugs and happy smiles and caught up with the gang. Libido has just finished, and next up was Is that Blood? with a lead singer sick with flu. They still sounded amazing. I really love this band.

Then it was Aion Truth’s turn. They were on form as always and managed to catch the attention of a very drunk girl who insisted on doing some back-up screaming vocals for the band. Dylan was not so keen on giving up his mic, but she was too much for Johan. She took the mic and gave us a few squeaky screams. Amy was standing at the entrance and thought that it was Dylan who had suddenly lost his voice! Haha. Luckily she gave the mic back immediately and order was restored.

Knave and Chromium followed and kicked ass! I made several trips to the bar in between songs to get…WATER! Yes, water. I just wasn’t in the mood to drink, but guess what, still had a damn good time. I did oblige to having a tequila with Morgan, what a cool chick.

I thought that after Chromium, we’d go home as Ferdi had that look on his face that said “I want to go home”. So I was quite surprised when he said that we were staying to watch the next and last band, Death By Monkeys. And I am so glad we did! I got a fright when I walked to the stage and saw three guys there with gas masks on and getting ready to play. Quite scary, lol! There was no drummer, just a guitarist, bassist and a (now I don’t know what you would call him) a dude with a computer. The lead singer had the mic attached to his mask, it was hilarious! And their music! I loved it! Most of their songs began with a cute circus type of jingle and then broke into hardcore lyrics. I must say I was impressed and would love to see them again!

Saturday we were back at Tempos, to see Crossing Point (since Ferdi didn’t get to see them the previous night). They are a band from Durban that was touring Gauteng that weekend. The gig began sometime early that afternoon and we almost didn’t make it due to some miscommunication between Martin and Ferdi. Nevertheless we made it just after 7 in time to see Crossing Point. I have never heard their music before but I soon got into it. Unfortunately, just as we were all warming up, one of their guitars malfunctioned or whatever and had to bring their short performance to a stop. We were all disappointed but at least we got to see them for a bit.

After purchasing CDs and getting them signed, we watched Unlisted, and then we went home! I have never stayed a gig for such a short time, it was crazy! But we were all hungry and tired, so after a very quick stop at McD’s (where Weasel and Ferdi practically forced me to wolf down my McMeal) we got home and went off to bed for an early night. What a weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossing point was awesome, but yeah pity it was so short. will have to watch them again.

Unknown said...

Try listening to Breaking Benjamin (USA), Rammstein (Germany), Nightwish (Finland) and Moonspell (Portugal), I reckon that you might like it.

CaZ said...

Yeah, I know and listen to all those bands already. :)
Especially Rammstein, one of my faves.

Unknown said...

I also like Rammstein, but my neighbours not too much. Lately I have been listening to Linkin Park, but I like alot the song "The Diary of Jane" of Breaking Benjamin. Man I like that song, big time.

CaZ said...

Yeah, thats an awesome song. I dig a lot of the heavy noisy stuff though. I think I spend way too much on music though, but without it I dont know where I'd be!

The new LP I find too soft. One band I really love at the moment is Deathstars. They are from Sweden.